Does HCI effect wrestling

Share your guides, how-tos, FAQs, and so forth. This is not for support -- post questions in General Discussion.
Amitlu

Does HCI effect wrestling

Post by Amitlu »

Does HCI effect wrestling? I have found many posts saying yes and no. Some say it does not require hci due to not being able to wield weapons. On uo spokland it says max swing speed is achieved with 10 dex. Can someone clarify this with some sort of sight reference?
koziar likes this.
Josh

Re: Does HCI effect wrestling

Post by Josh »

RunUO Code says yes to hci affecting wrestling
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

of course
Josh

Post by Josh »

Calvin wrote:of course
Actually I dont think anything should be assumed of runuo, they have alot of holes in their code that miss simple shit like that. But this time they didnt.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

kind of... the code for the swing of wrestle is no different to the code for a swing of anything.

there's no reason it would be different, that's just coding, no point writing the same thing 20 times for 20 weapons. there's nothing to miss because it's the same code, if it was missing from this, it would be missing from everything
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

it's written in C, and C is a hierarchical language.. so like... how to explain it...

it works by class inheritance:

so in this diagram, both 'Passenger' and 'Freight', have all the qualities of "Train".
does that make sense?

the sub-classes inherit all the variables and code of the class above. i might be a bit wrong because im not a programmer at the end of the day, but that's my understanding of it.

so for this example with wrestling, all the weapon classes inherit the combat variables, and the HCI checks are in the combat variables.

the problem with RunUO is that it's not written neatly/formally, so the hierarchies cross over a lot, sometimes require variables from lower classes, etc. so you are kinda right. but for stuff like this it's pretty straight forward, it's only little things that are specific, where someone has put them in the wrong place just cos it'll do, then it's needed by something else so have to call up the entire class that it's in... then after a while it can get messy to the point of stopping working, or at least being very hard to work with (especially by another person).

which is why they teach people all the conventions and stuff as a major thing. like you can program with only half of what they teach in programming, but the other half makes you much more efficient (which means working faster, on bigger things, and being able to work in a group)

basically you can work with the language, or you can work against it. it's the same with all of them. i don't think RunUO's that bad tho really, the program's not big enough to become a mess.

but either way, the combat class is like one of the central pillars of the game, and HCI is part of that. going back to the picture - it would be impossible for the classes 'Freight' and 'Passenger', to mess up the code contained in "Train"'; and if "Train" was messed up, you would see that in all of it's subclasses

see that's what being a good/bad programmer is, where you decide to put things in the hierarchy can determine how much code you have to load to get specific things done, you can lump it all into 1 script, or you can break it all down into a million 1 line scripts. it's about finding the right balance
Josh

Post by Josh »

yea my reference point is the actual code though, and it has different sets for swords/mace/wrestle/etc. Tbh i didnt read most of what you said but i dont think it'd clarify anything more to me than the actual code would.
Tanya

Post by Tanya »

Josh wrote: Tbh i didnt read most of what you said
haha yeah... wall of text :lol: :lol: :lol:
Peerless Hunter
Guide to Whammy - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=314
My youtube channel - /watch?v=sx5zGCbILtA
Weekly Bedlam Spawns - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9131
Shallan

Post by Shallan »

Calvin wrote:it's written in C, and C is a hierarchical language.. so like... how to explain it...

it works by class inheritance:

so in this diagram, both 'Passenger' and 'Freight', have all the qualities of "Train".
does that make sense?

the sub-classes inherit all the variables and code of the class above. i might be a bit wrong because im not a programmer at the end of the day, but that's my understanding of it.

so for this example with wrestling, all the weapon classes inherit the combat variables, and the HCI checks are in the combat variables.

the problem with RunUO is that it's not written neatly/formally, so the hierarchies cross over a lot, sometimes require variables from lower classes, etc. so you are kinda right. but for stuff like this it's pretty straight forward, it's only little things that are specific, where someone has put them in the wrong place just cos it'll do, then it's needed by something else so have to call up the entire class that it's in... then after a while it can get messy to the point of stopping working, or at least being very hard to work with (especially by another person).

which is why they teach people all the conventions and stuff as a major thing. like you can program with only half of what they teach in programming, but the other half makes you much more efficient (which means working faster, on bigger things, and being able to work in a group)

basically you can work with the language, or you can work against it. it's the same with all of them. i don't think RunUO's that bad tho really, the program's not big enough to become a mess.

but either way, the combat class is like one of the central pillars of the game, and HCI is part of that. going back to the picture - it would be impossible for the classes 'Freight' and 'Passenger', to mess up the code contained in "Train"'; and if "Train" was messed up, you would see that in all of it's subclasses

see that's what being a good/bad programmer is, where you decide to put things in the hierarchy can determine how much code you have to load to get specific things done, you can lump it all into 1 script, or you can break it all down into a million 1 line scripts. it's about finding the right balance
wall of text hits u for oveer 9000 damge

UABOF - Users against Bullshit on forum.
Mr Straitions

Post by Mr Straitions »

I know nothing about RunUO code but I have always heard that HCI doesn't effect wrestle as conventional wisdom. It would be nice to have a definitive answer on the matter.

You could test it with 120 wrestle against someone who is 120 weapon skill. Compare how many hits and wiffs with 45 HCI and how many hits and wiffs with 0 HCI.
The Silvertiger wrote:If it were about kills and not objectives, then the axis won ww2, by a landslide....
Discord: Alter Ego#1069
Tanya likes this.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Mr Straitions wrote:I know nothing about RunUO code but I have always heard that HCI doesn't effect wrestle as conventional wisdom. It would be nice to have a definitive answer on the matter.

You could test it with 120 wrestle against someone who is 120 weapon skill. Compare how many hits and wiffs with 45 HCI and how many hits and wiffs with 0 HCI.
I'm saying Arden looked at the base runuo code and hci does affect wrestling, I guess Demise could've modified that but if they didnt then yes it does affect wrestling.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

does not work like this:
[wrestling] - code
[swords] - code
[mace] - code

works like this:
[combat] - code (needs variables)
[wrestle] - variables
[swords] - variables
[mace] variables

tho more likely it is not sword, mace, bow. it will be each weapon. unarmed/fist will be one.

it is the SAME combat code.
quickdeath

Post by quickdeath »

I dont know about the code but experimenting with the ~30% hci i can get for wrestling it seems to make a difference when sparring w my buddies
uh oh
DG

Post by DG »

Tha answer is affirmative.Check runuo code Scripts/Items/Weapons/BaseWeapons.cs.Its right there.

I think fists swing at a fixed speed,but havent found the code to prove it.
Arden

Post by Arden »

DG wrote:Tha answer is affirmative.Check runuo code Scripts/Items/Weapons/BaseWeapons.cs.Its right there.

I think fists swing at a fixed speed,but havent found the code to prove it.
This is part of the answer. I understand what youre saying calvin, but that doesnt apply, bc when runuo code was written they seemily didnt follow strict rules. And code is scattered all over the place.

tl;dr - HCI affects wrestling, UNLESS demise changed the code from the base runuo.