lockpicking

Share your guides, how-tos, FAQs, and so forth. This is not for support -- post questions in General Discussion.
House

lockpicking

Post by House »

Anyone know a script? Been manually grinding going town to town opening lock boxes... Very time consuming...
Mordramir

Re: lockpicking

Post by Mordramir »

Craft wooden boxes or small crates of appropriate Tinkering skill.
It helps to develop Tinkering skill at the same time as Lockpicking skill.
Tinkering skill should be at or slightly above current Lockpicking skill, a difference of no more than 20 skill points should be fine.
After crafting the container, a key for the container will also be created.
Lock the container with the key, then attempt to pick the lock.
When the container is unlocked, lock the container again and repeat the process.
After 95 Lockpicking skill, you must unlock Level 4 treasure chests in dungeons. They can typically be found at the lowest level of a dungeon.
Dungeon chest locations listed on Stratics may or may not be accurate anymore.

See also:
http://www.uoguide.com/Lockpicking
http://www.uoguide.com/Tinkering
http://uo.stratics.com/thb/info/dungeon ... uide.shtml
-signed-
Mordramir, Hedge Wizard
Owner of Mage Manor (2725N 2759E)
Madmarz

Post by Madmarz »

As mordramir said, get enough carpentry to craft a wooden box, then make box at Tinkering level 30/50/70/90/100. When you hit tinker skill 45 you can make lockpicks till 90 ish and use those.
This is the script i made to train it to 95. Just put the box with the appropriate tink level in you backpack, then swap out for the next one when the gains stop. I was to lazy to make the script automatically do everything but if you have any uosteam knowledge its really easy to do.
Heres the original script: Dont check loop

Code: Select all

//Doesnt matter if key is in box, id leave it in and just open the box before you start
@setalias 'Tinkbox' 0x43fac61a //Switch this with you tink box
@setalias 'Key' 0x43fac61b //Swtich this with you key
usetype 0x14fc 0 'backpack'
waitfortarget 5000
@target 'Tinkbox'
pause 500
if @injournal 'This does not appear to be locked' 'system'
  clearjournal
  useobject 'Key'
  waitfortarget 5000
  @target 'Tinkbox'
  pause 500
  replay
  stop
elseif @injournal 'You are unable to pick the lock' 'system'
  clearjournal
  replay
  stop
else
  pause 5000
  replay
  stop
endif
If you want to make it fully auto, instead of using aliases for the key and box, just set them individually for each skill check. I have no idea when each box stops giving gains but the 30 took me to 50, 50 box to 60-70 and so on.
Script would look almost the same but instead youd have

Code: Select all

if skill 'Tinkering' < X
movetype //Whatever the box graphic, where it is etc...
pause 1000
while skill 'Tinkering' < X
usetype 0x14fc 0 'backpack'
waitfortarget 5000
@target //Put the serial of the appropriate level box
pause 500
if @injournal 'This does not appear to be locked' 'system'
  clearjournal
  useobject 'Key'
  waitfortarget 5000
  @target 'Tinkbox'
  pause 500
  replay
  stop
elseif @injournal 'You are unable to pick the lock' 'system'
  clearjournal
  replay
  stop
else
  pause 5000
  replay
  stop
  endwhile
elseif skill 'Tinkering' >= X and skill 'Tinkering' < X
movetype //The box in you pack to container
pause 1000
movetype //New box
pause 1000
while skill 'Tinkering' < X
//and so on repeat this. Dont forget to add the endwhile before the next skill check and dont forget the endif at the end of the script. You can also add:
If skill 'Tinkering' == 95
stop
endif
//You cant gain past 95 on boxes
Gra_la

Post by Gra_la »

Once you hit 95 just bring your 70 crafted box to dreadhorn cave and get discorded by satyr, invis, reveal and stand next to him so it lasts forever and just hit play again and the box will take you to gm.
Bama likes this.
House

Post by House »

thanks for the help really appreciate it guys.
Gargl Kark

Post by Gargl Kark »

afaik there are chests for training in the rune house, east gate of Luna Bank, first house to the south.

a very easy dungeon to train in is Ice:
there are chests at the ice ogre lord's cave at the south, one at the whity wyrm, others at the entrance to Ice Fiend room, and then in the Ice Fiend room. there are more, but they are more heaavily spawned.
Whammy | Timezone: GMT+2

2020-09-17: SALE | Jewels List
sugarcrisp

Post by sugarcrisp »

Necroing this thread because I have a question. I've found the lockboxes in the house in Luna, the ones I assume are here to level lockpicking. They're labelled by tinkering level. My question is I don't understand how to use these to level lockpicking. The ones I need to use are already unlocked and I don't get how I'm supposed to lock them again to level skill. I'm very new to the game and I've never played it before so I'd appreciate anyone explaining this for me.
The Silvertiger

Post by The Silvertiger »

sugarcrisp wrote:Necroing this thread because I have a question. I've found the lockboxes in the house in Luna, the ones I assume are here to level lockpicking. They're labelled by tinkering level. My question is I don't understand how to use these to level lockpicking. The ones I need to use are already unlocked and I don't get how I'm supposed to lock them again to level skill. I'm very new to the game and I've never played it before so I'd appreciate anyone explaining this for me.
april0395 wrote:.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Carenia

Post by Carenia »

The Silvertiger wrote:
sugarcrisp wrote:Necroing this thread because I have a question. I've found the lockboxes in the house in Luna, the ones I assume are here to level lockpicking. They're labelled by tinkering level. My question is I don't understand how to use these to level lockpicking. The ones I need to use are already unlocked and I don't get how I'm supposed to lock them again to level skill. I'm very new to the game and I've never played it before so I'd appreciate anyone explaining this for me.
april0395 wrote:.
??????????
^^^ dafuq

( I would also like to know what to do! I need me treasure. <3 )
<3
I remember every one who's been kind and cruel to me in this game. Thanks for helping get me on my feet!
april0395

Post by april0395 »

There is a vendor across the road at the potion shop that sells keys for the boxes at the rune library. If it's empty, I'll try to remember to restock more tonight.
Made In Quebec wrote:Some people's pleasure are sticking vegetables up their asses. While it's not my personal cup of tea, they can do as they please, since it's their asshole's and not mine, and I will not judge them.
Matiu and The Silvertiger like this.