UOSteam: updating active objects

Share your guides, how-tos, FAQs, and so forth. This is not for support -- post questions in General Discussion.
Gargl Kark

UOSteam: updating active objects

Post by Gargl Kark »

Hi,

I'm on UOS 1.0.5
It seems that sometimes defined aliases to objects get deleted, which causes scripts to malfunction.

Anyone else experience this?
How to avoid it?
Whammy | Timezone: GMT+2

2020-09-17: SALE | Jewels List
Gra_la

Re: UOSteam: updating active objects

Post by Gra_la »

Depends on the script your trying to use.
Souced

Post by Souced »

yes lots of ways some scripts ask for the things to set at beginning of it, and some people have at the end of the scripts to wipe all the data it has set, others make you put in the hard data yourself, so it is a hard question just to give a general answer to

all i would say is try to learn a bit of the code and figure out what you like and best and make the changes for yourself
My parents said I could be anything when I grew up, I picked Asshole! How am I doing?
Gra_la

Post by Gra_la »

Say your script asks you to target your restock box and sets its alias to restock.
If lets say you were out in the forest chopping a tree and somehow your script tries to use its restock alias, it will delete it cause it doesn't exist there.
And now your script repeats itself from the start and bam its asking you to target your restock again cause it lost it.
This is the most common thing I run into with making scripts and loosing aliases.

It's also why I am more of a fan of hardcoding the serials than letting promptailas do all the work.
suiris

Post by suiris »

Even if you hardcode the alias, the ItemID has to be visible for UOS to make the alias, if it is not present it will not add it.
Say you want to add alias for your Cu Sidhe, if you are riding it at the moment when the script was executing setalias 'sidhe' 0x12312312ff it will not add it to the list.
Same goes for anything. If you are setting an alias for a container in your house and you are running the script in Luna bank, later when the script references this alias it will not find it.
The Silvertiger

Post by The Silvertiger »

My initial thought is to put in a prompt alias, but if your experiencing issues of being away from said alias as mentioned above a simple if not in range recall would fix that or if not in range use object self... More detail is needed to assist you fully.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
zulu2401

Post by zulu2401 »

You're doing it wrong