So much to be thankful for

Off-topic general discussion, for everything else.
pegasus321

So much to be thankful for

Post by pegasus321 »

It's that time of year, time to reflect on our lives and be thankful for all we have. I know in the holiday hustle and bustle it can be easy to overlook some of life's many joys.

Recent events in my life have given me a new found appreciation for all that we take for granted. - Like having a roof over your head and food on the table.

I live in Southern California (Ventura to be more precise) which is the epicenter of the wildfires. In Ventura alone (City, not county) we have lost over 500 (as of my last hearing) houses to the Thomas Fire. I watched Monday evening as half of the city was ignited within 20 min of the fire starting. The fire continues to grow and is only 25% contained - The strong winds and over 6 years of drought do not seem to be helping.
ventura_tmo_2017239.jpg
ventura_tmo_2017239.jpg (207.06 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHqL1rch_IY

I am blessed that my house was not burnt - but many houses within a 2 block radius of me have been completely destroyed. I just recently got power turned back on to my house and could not be more thankful that my family was not impacted more.

Take some time to appreciate all of the little things you have in life (and the big) because you never know when you may lose everything.
april0395

Re: So much to be thankful for

Post by april0395 »

And now the mudslides :(
Made In Quebec wrote:Some people's pleasure are sticking vegetables up their asses. While it's not my personal cup of tea, they can do as they please, since it's their asshole's and not mine, and I will not judge them.
pegasus321

Post by pegasus321 »

Yes, the mudslides have really added to the issues we are facing.

They had Mandatory/voluntary evacuations like with most emergencies. We have some areas that have Mudslides regularly (every few years) but not in Santa Barbara County. When the landslides hit it was so unexpected that some areas without any evacuation notices were completely wiped out. I believe ~ 20 people lost their lives.

The 101 Freeway (Main route up the coast) has been completely shut down, Bridges destroyed, huge rocks tore up the asphalt - No one knows how long it will take to be re-opened.
hrs024

Post by hrs024 »

i was within 2 evacuation zones during California fires in 2003 and 2007, down in san diego. shit sucks
DISCORD NAME hrs024 #0656
hrs024

Post by hrs024 »

didnt lose my place to live either thank god, i packed up and took that computer just in case tho lol
pegasus321 likes this.
pegasus321

Post by pegasus321 »

My wife was packing up Kid stuff and photo albums etc.
1st thing i grabbed was my Magic Cards and my Computer.
hrs024

Post by hrs024 »

yeah, we all got our priorities lol
hrs024

Post by hrs024 »

actually it sounds like you guys are a good team