Good Movies

Off-topic general discussion, for everything else.
Calvin

Re: Good Movies

Post by Calvin »

americans may not know, but these are classics:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6p8ceq

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6hjsak
picks up a lot after season 1

they actually just made a new 2 part special of it

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

ooh hello!

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

if i've not posted this, it's pretty good.

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

has anyone seen this?

looks alright..
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

gonna watch this again actually, enough of it to get your teeth into.

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

that tales from the loop trailer is good man... but it makes me wanna watch the season 5 intro to babylon 5 :D

you shouldn't really watch this if you haven't seen the series, cos it does have a lot of spoilers, but man it's such an amazing recap of the last 4 seasons and all the stuff that's happened

it's basically the founding of the federation from star trek. that's the grand arc of B5. it's done so subtly and naturally, it's masterful.
Deep Space 9 is basically a complete rip off of Babylon 5, it's good, but B5 is just... special.
B5 was also the first sci-fi to use computer generated graphics, done on the Amiga :D

i suppose the problem is it's paced more like a book than a blockbuster.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

just watched the first episode of this actually, pretty good!

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

(tho have to say i disagree that it's about 'crafting experience'.... *grumbles about modern games*)
(it's not an interactive film ya dickheads...)
(and anyway, i dont see why you have to have lived it to make it... it's not like anyone has lived an alien invasion.. just an excuse for them to go on loads of holidays.. gad damn generation...)
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

... see do i really need to have been a football hooligan turned hired muscle to make a game about it, or can i just smoke a load of weed and watch Rise of a Footsoldier?
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

wow this is weirdly random... so ya remember those charlie brooker videos i posted, saying he's not made anything in a while...

Facko

Post by Facko »

https://www.startrek.com/news/the-humbl ... ral-picard

Tldr; feel bad for liking TNG and the Picard character
ultio mea est
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Facko wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 10:06 am https://www.startrek.com/news/the-humbl ... ral-picard

Tldr; feel bad for liking TNG and the Picard character
"Star Trek has always dealt in stories about interspecies and cross-cultural interactions..."

yeah they go around judging other cultures and seeing if they're evolved enough to join the federation. 90% of the time the answer is no lol.

"While TNG positioned Captain Picard as an ally to marginalized groups, from Klingons to androids"

they totally dont get it :lol: this is trek from people that have not watched trek, and just think it's about that clip of whoopie goldberg where she's like "momma momma, there's a black woman on tv and she aint no maid!"
fkin, watch better tv ya muppets.

ya know i was thinkin about this: things have an equal and opposite reaction... the SJWs are the equal and opposite reaction to the nazis.

"While Picard is used to taking care of other people, his titular show finds the Admiral at 93 now needing other people to take care of him. "
uuuurg these people dont understand picard at all. he does his duty, he believes in the system. there should be people who's duty it is to take care of the elderly. that's the whole premise of the show. a bigger society, based on enlightenment principles, where we dont judge people on their skin and stuff, but their character, and all serve the great society. it's actually very imperialistic.

but the key thing is integration, and bringing people up to the enlightenment standard. there's very little cultural relativism, and saying "they just do it different". all there is, is an appreciation for alternative history and culture. like the klingons are slightly flavoured from their culture, but they're essentially the same as the federation in terms of a ruling council, hierarchy, etc. they are saying everyone ends up at that point.

which is the OPPOSITE of cultural relativism. because if you are a cultural relativist, then we are all at the same stage of development, just different. it's not that africa is like 200 years behind, it's just 'different'. which i dont believe personally. it's 200 years behind.

first paragraph is enough tbh, dont need to read more.

they have a point with this tho:
"and the way each franchise tells these stories is a commentary on the era that produced them"
welcome to the era of retards.

unsurprisingly, the retards hate the idea of being retards. so everyone feels sorry for them, lets them have the important jobs, and 10 years later everything is fked. that was 2014/15... or perhaps even earlier. people just now realizing how bad everything has gotten. entire generation is fucked, no families, no mortgages, no future... just have to take the hit and move onto the next gen.
but at least everyone got to be unashamedly super gay and hedonistic for a bit, so ya know... balances out... i guess....?

trump is your ice bath to break the fever before you die...

the worst part is all these faithless hopeless people are either buying into some one world communist pipe-dream future, or want to burn the whole system down because it "didn't provide me with a future" :lol:
who's fucking fault is that really... if ya dont build anything, dont be surprised when you have nothing at the end of the day.

i mean im in the same boat, but at least i know it's my own fault lol. i dont care, it's not a game i wanna play anyway, shit community ;P

rly tho, it's ironic as hell cos it's the last thing they wanna be, but they are a bunch of racist and sexist idiots that think they're awesome...
you might think i am, that's fair enough.

honestly they think they're really fair and just, and so much smarter than everyone else in history. it's hilariously tragic.

i mean look at picard, they're not just picking on an old man that wont defend himself after being bullied into submission; that's justice dont ya know? :roll:

see to a cultural relativist, saying the west is ahead in technology, is racist. cos you're saying "our way of doing it, is more advanced than your way of doing it". which is the same as white supremacy. so like planes, the internet... all that stuff, they coulda invented that, but it's just not their culture to invent things, and that's fine and just as good....?
to me saying that is more racist.. cos you're sayin black people cant invent things.
Facko likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

"While TNG positioned Captain Picard as an ally to marginalized groups, from Klingons to androids, Picard challenges him to check the privilege he’s enjoyed through various series as an able-bodied male Earthling of elevated Starfleet rank."

i dont think that's how rank works... do you see how amazing it is though?

like he didn't earn his rank, no-one earns anything, they're all just given it... out of privilege.. and it's not a responsibility, given to you because you are the most capable. it's power, for you to do what you want with, given to you because of your race and gender... these people are absolutely insane.

is it any wonder that when they then get into power, they start making policy based on their own desires along racial lines?
that is what they think we do. we do the opposite. that's why i wouldn't wanna be a GM, cos it's a job, it's hard work, with responsibility, and demands, and all that crap. you've gotta try and balance the health of the world and the desires of the entire population. it's not power for you to abuse. ya dont just do what you want to do.

starfleet captains are PRO, they're the best of the best. that's why they're captains... and they are responsible for their entire crew. it just lays the difference in ideology so bare.
they are such fucking petty selfish people. that is literally why they are ALWAYS going on about it. like how the most vocal people on womens rights, are usually the abusers. just because it's not even a thing to normal people.. they dont even think about it.

honestly... dont even try to make sense of the crap these shallow morons make. it really doesn't make sense. they really dont have that capacity for depth. they just assume no-one else does either. they are literally the *worst* people that could possibly be writing these shows. like it makes sense up to a point, but that's totally wrong for an expansive universe, they should make sense all the way. it's like vector art compared to a fractal...

they're not artists, i dont know why the fuck they went into writing. some careers councilor has clearly pointed them on the wrong path. manual labour is more their kinda thing... or... organ donation.... if we really need to find a use for them. what about the army?

tbh it's what happens when you ask a kid they want to do, not look at what they are talented at. they've been trained to go through the motions, but they're not writers.

it's probably the same problem i have, where you have to first and foremost be a "people person", if ya get me.. you have to have the right politics, and the right bullshit. doesn't matter how well you can do the job. so they're picking from a very slimmed down clique of people. this is probably the best of the bunch. it's been the same everywhere for the last 5 or 10 years tbh. if you're in media or entertainment and you are in any way conservative or republican.... you really need to hide it.

like take tolkien for example. probably one of, if not the, greatest writer of the last century - he wouldn't have been published if it was modern day, he would be "de-platformed". it's totally fucked, these people are dangerous zealots.

like they have literally spent the last 3 or 4 years, trying by any means necessary, to subvert, annul, or undermine democratic elections and referendums. like... they crossed a line, a long time ago.

the whole point of democratic elections is to prevent civil wars, win or lose, it's fair; and these stupid fucks, basically decided they would rather have the war than lose a democratic vote. you may not realize it, but you are actually living through a cold civil war. we are fighting for control of the institutions like education, like the media, like parliament, like hollywood...

picard is shots fired. joker was like nuke launched :lol:

i actually dont agree with most conservative policies. but at least they're sane. they didn't start this shit, and they woulda accepted defeat gracefully. policies aside, at least they play by the rules. lefties think the rules are unfair. they're not. they're actually there from peasant revolts, and civil wars, where no-body won, everyone just lost. so it was decided lets not do that again...

lefties currently have most of the TV and media, Education, and they did have parliament, but we sorted that at last.
righties have the president seats, and the support of the majority. it's actually pretty cool seeing the system flex some of it's protections.
lefties have twitter and google tho, youtube is fence sitting.
the righties are currently winning, cos the system ultimately prioritizes the majority - thats democracy. but that's why the lefties are attacking the system directly now.

The Case Against Democracy | The New Yorker
7 Nov 2016

Is democracy a good thing? - OpenLearn - Open University
26 Nov 2019

Why are we so dissatisfied with democracy? The reasons are .. || guardian
22 Dec 2018

Is Democracy the Problem? - Carnegie Endowment for ..
16 Jan 2019

Democracy in the U.S.: Is it broken, or was it never working
11 Oct 2018

Confidence in Democracy Is at a Low Point - The Atlantic
29 Jan 2020

notice all this started when they lost the election.. before that democracy was their god lol. but this is the thing, they're fair weather friends. the kind of people who wouldn't honour a bet if they lost. but would expect you to honour it if they won.
they're children...

honestly im not *that* bothered either way, i just wish they'd stop messing with my entertainment.