Working As Intended Trapped Dart Boxes Are Broken

Closed bug reports will be moved here.
Bad Religion

Trapped Dart Boxes Are Broken

Post by Bad Religion »

If you trap a box with minimal tinkering skill, the damage is the same as if you have 100 tinkering skill. This is a huge bug. This era of UO it is not supposed to work like that.

I know this issue has been brought up NUMEROUS times, yet is still never fixed. I also understand that staff is volunteering their time so expecting fixes for such bugs to happen in a timely manner is probably absurd.

I do, however, have to question the reason for this not being fixed yet. I submitted a bug report for this 8 months ago on the other forums, quit for several months, came back, and it is still broken. People bring it up constantly on the new forums as well. I was excited to see the new test center updates, until I realized you forgot to fix this very IMPACTFUL bug and just concentrated on new types of poison.

Dont get me wrong, I love that staff is constantly trying to improve the server, and even implementing new features. My only concern is that you may have skipped over a PROVEN AND KNOWN BUG that is affecting pvp AND pvm.

At the present time, if I get evil omen-paralyzed or shot with a para blow, it means almost certain death if the enemy team is competent enough. The normal counter for this on OSI(and every other shard) is always primarily to use a trapped box with the minimal amount of tinkering required to trap it to break the paralysis. This usually deals around 10 damage. The same boxes on this server, deal upwards of 40 damage at times.

If you think fixing this bug may bring imbalance somewhere, please let me know.
diabolic likes this.
Bad Religion

Re: Trapped Dart Boxes Are Broken

Post by Bad Religion »

On a side note: it is my opinion that archery is already one of the most powerful characters to play with some of the least amount of skill required because heartwood is allowed to be scripted virtually unchecked so almost every archer has bows that did not or barely existed on osi servers with 1000s of people playing them. I think a slight nerf to their crowd control is more than fair given their damage output and tankiness.

I also think that they will get slightly stronger as archers wont have to deal with this issue anymore either. Even at choke points the trade-off would be the archer can run through para fields but if he runs through 4 too fast he will take around 50 damage. Seems fair to me.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Bad Religion wrote:On a side note: it is my opinion that archery is already one of the most powerful characters to play with some of the least amount of skill required because heartwood is allowed to be scripted virtually unchecked so almost every archer has bows that did not or barely existed on osi servers with 1000s of people playing them. I think a slight nerf to their crowd control is more than fair given their damage output and tankiness.

I also think that they will get slightly stronger as archers wont have to deal with this issue anymore either. Even at choke points the trade-off would be the archer can run through para fields but if he runs through 4 too fast he will take around 50 damage. Seems fair to me.
Shouldn't ranged weapons leeching be halved?
Shouldn't the amount you leech depend on your swing speed
The faster the swing speed the less you leech
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Bad Religion likes this.
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

Yup, is this not currently the case?
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

bump
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

If boxes didn't do high damage, 10 damage pouches would just allow you to escape almost every para-blow situation. High-damage pouches are pretty much a "use at your own risk-they are there if you need to use them".

40 damage pouches make it to where if you get paralyzed, you take some sort of hit for doing so. Otherwise, you'd never die with 10 damage pouches being spammed on yourself everytime you get para'd.

I honestly don't use them unless I *ABSOLUTELY* have to. You're supposed to get clumsied by a teammate, that's what they're there for, right? Don't pouch unless you need too.

Use them at your own risk.
I T-Bagged Vander's corpse and he came back from the dead and attempted to bite my nutsack.
Eos and The Silvertiger like this.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Bad Religion wrote:Yup, is this not currently the case?
I don't believe any of it is on Demise
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Loler

Post by Loler »

I got a response from EOS on the old forums. They declared it a bug and decided it wouldnt be implemented.
PM me or contact me on discord mortoburger#5040
Buying List
Selling List
Trading Brsk for Arties
My vendor in Luna
Buying Tailor/Smith resets in bulk.
Eos
Demise Administrator

Post by Eos »

Tinker-made traps do take into account the tinkering skill for the damage inflicted by the trap. However, you're probably not talking about tinker traps, as setting them off by yourself during PvP is not easily done.

If you're talking about Magic Trap, it doing about 40 damage is accurate:
http://www.uoguide.com/Magic_Trap
Places an explosive trap on a usable object that activates when object is used, for 10-50 points of direct damage.
(This is an AOS change. Before AOS, it did only 1 damage.)

On OSI it seems people do actually use tinker-made traps rather than magic trap, as the magic unlock spell allows you to set off a tinker-made trap when opening the container (whereas unlocking the container normally using the key would deactivate the trap). This method doesn't work here, and might need fixing. It's unclear whether this is an OSI bug, though. Fixing it may also open the way for a wide array of griefing tactics.

Then there remains the issue of "infinite use" tinker-made trap boxes. On OSI, turning the boxes a certain way, along with the magic unlock method, apparently creates a box that sets off the trap forever. This definitely sounds like a bug to me.
Eos
UOGDemise - Administrator

Please do not PM me for general support.
If you are experiencing game issues please send a help request in-game.

Thank you for your continued support of UOG: Demise.
Legacy

Post by Legacy »

If I remember correctly Xavier commented something of similar fashion when I brought this issue to him. We both eventually agreed that it was too big a can of worms to open, for the same reasons Eos brought up.
Lucifall
Loler

Post by Loler »

it was used for years during this time period. yes hes talking about the infinite use trap boxes that did 5-10 damage. It made 0 resist templates playable on OSI which alot of people played.
Buying List
Selling List
Trading Brsk for Arties
My vendor in Luna
Legacy

Post by Legacy »

Loler wrote:it was used for years during this time period. yes hes talking about the infinite use trap boxes that did 5-10 damage. It made 0 resist templates playable on OSI which alot of people played.
It makes any kind of stun and paralyze useless, really.
Lucifall
Vitek- likes this.
Loler

Post by Loler »

paralyze field was still good and i'd be willing to bet more then 75% of the players wont use them unless they loot em.
Buying List
Selling List
Trading Brsk for Arties
My vendor in Luna
Eos
Demise Administrator

Post by Eos »

I did some OSI testing, and unless I'm doing it wrong, just using magic unlock doesn't allow me to set off any tinker-made traps, not even once. It works just like it does here.

However, if the container is turned using an interior decorator, suddenly the trap goes off, every time it's opened, no matter who opens it.

There seem to be some inconsistencies on OSI when the container's item ID changes. For example, when the container is locked, it can still be opened by the person who locked it when facing the normal way (saying "The chest is locked, but since it's yours, you can open it"), but not when it's facing the other way ("It appears to be locked").
Eos
UOGDemise - Administrator

Please do not PM me for general support.
If you are experiencing game issues please send a help request in-game.

Thank you for your continued support of UOG: Demise.
Loler

Post by Loler »

yep thats the trap boxes most people compare to osi.
Buying List
Selling List
Trading Brsk for Arties
My vendor in Luna