Frenzied Whirlwind [NEW]

Closed bug reports will be moved here.
Vitek-

Frenzied Whirlwind [NEW]

Post by Vitek- »

I really wish I knew how it worked during this era for sure, but it certainly didn't work like this. On demise, you get hit with a frenzied whirlwind and it does damage for the next like, four seconds regardless of how close you are to the attacker. You just see 5's floating above your head in a fast manner and it really adds up. I'd say it probably does 15dps for 4ish seconds or so.

I *think* (I am probably off, but close) that it had this effect only when you were within a 2-tile range of the attacker, and it only lasted for 2 seconds. The damage also scaled off of your bushido or ninjitsu skill.

This isn't to be confused with current-day FW mechs, where it adds a slow walk effect in addition to the short DoT.
Discord: Critical#2911
fish, bass
atomic chicken

Re: Frenzied Whirlwind [NEW]

Post by atomic chicken »

RunUO code that I've looked at says that frenzied whirlwind does 60 damage (which multiple tests have confirmed it does). From my memory (like 2-3 weeks ago) the damage did not scale off of ninja nor bushido, rather it only had a check if you had 50 skill (I could be wrong but I don't think I am).

I looked back in the archives of uo.com and their publishes, the earliest mention of the mechanics behind frenzied whirlwind I could find said "Frenzied Whirlwind now does more damage: 20 – 50 per strike," (was posted in 2008 which was late ML era) and also other publishes said that they made it scale off bushido and ninja. The previous sentence could interpreted 2 ways and I'm not sure which way they meant, 1. The damage is based on a combination of ninja and bushido so to achieve the 50 damage you'd have to have both or 2. Having max bushido or max ninja allowed the 50 damage hits. I think the 1. Option is more desirable for balancing mechanics bc 50 damage for having 1 ability seems a bit absurd (and is probably the same justification that you all implemented the death strike nerfs.)

Also, the fact that frenzied whirlwind does not work on the initial target it is hitting I think is flawed, even if it's "era accurate" I think in terms of balancing it should change bc currently you hit your cu-sidhe and everyone in a 2 tile radius takes 60 damage, which there is no counter mechanic bc your dci, parry, defense from weapon skill do not matter, only the cu's which makes it more likely to hit than if it hit a player.

My suggestions-
Nerf the damage and make the damage scale from bushido AND ninja - this allows for a healthy 30-40 damage attack which is still significant bc it's basically a aoe Armor Ignore, while still allowing gimp templates with ninja and bushido to do massive damage but it should only be 50 not 60 in my opinion
Make hitting your pet not trigger the aoe (I'm fine if it only applies to this ability) because it nullifies any counter mechanic like dci, parry, weapon skill.
Buff it slightly by making the 30 bonus damage hit the initial target of the strike (right now that damage is just for the aoe not the target taking the damage).

Here is the source of the quote above - https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/ ... -february/
zulu2401 likes this.
atomic chicken

Post by atomic chicken »

I am not suggesting changing it to the current osi-frenzied whirlwind but I'd prefer it over the demise one simple bc dci, parry, weapon skill don't matter, that's the biggest Hang up about it in my opinion.
royal kapero2

Post by royal kapero2 »

it works as intended
atomic chicken

Post by atomic chicken »

Lemme inform you why even if it's 100% accurate as osi it still should change.
1. Pets aren't accurate to osi, you can't ride a cu without taming on osi, it'd go wild
2. You hit your pets to use the ability which nullifies dci, parry, defensive ability for weapons

Meaning if you were on osi back in the day and tried this you'd be hitting your warhorse or swampy unless you were a tamer and guess what? It die in like 3
Hits bc someone would just fs or an archer would tear it up. While on a cu, the cu would just heal.
So either change it to how it's actually intended (aka publish 50 I posted above) or change riding pets to what is really intended. I'm for both of these. But I got a feeling most of y'all aren't for the no op mount solution.
So just change frenzied whirlwind.

Also 60 damage for 50 skill is broken as fuck, get that shit outta here.
royal kapero2

Post by royal kapero2 »

Mounts based on your taming skill, which is 0, should be fun, swampies, war horses but.. it's been for too long. Now I see your point, one broken thing is driven by another. If not these mounts, frenzied whirlwind would be used differently.
atomic chicken

Post by atomic chicken »

Yep, I know the mount change would be unpopular, so I suggested the publish 50 change which is still ML era and scales damage on ninja-bush, also should make hitting your own pet cancel the aoe of the frenzy, rather I think change it to have the 20-50 Damage based on ninja AND bush skill hit on the initial target and targets within 2 tiles would be the better solution bc dci, parry, weapon skills will matter and it'll make you have to commit 120 bush and parry for a full amount of 50 damage.
Also, it might be a nerf but I think with these changes it'd be effective still bc it's basically be an aoe armor ignore.
Bad Religion likes this.
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

It's so funny because they pick and choose which bugs and exploits they allow. For instance, some idiot said that trapped boxes shouldnt work the same here as they do on OSI because "it's a bug on osi" , yet the mount shit is a fucking exploit as well but that one is allowed. But staff here, god love them, are insanely contradicting.
iPimp likes this.
atomic chicken

Post by atomic chicken »

Make UO emulators accurate again. (Minus the 15 tile fields)
Bad Religion likes this.
The Silvertiger

Post by The Silvertiger »

Even if they changed the mount issue. It would be nothing to soulstone taming on and feed your pet every so often. It's not like pets go wild on osi in 5 seconds. I'm sure mb could even make a macro for it. ;)
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
atomic chicken

Post by atomic chicken »

True, I may be wrong but I think on osi if your mount isn't within a certain distance it'll be on a all stop type command basically and when you come back you'll need to say all follow me for it to follow again.

We could make this a thing on here regardless of it being osi accurate to nullify that soul stone trick.

Regardless, they need to change frenzied whirlwind to scale off of skill and not do the aoe when hitting your own pet (only hitting other players, mobs, enemy pets, etc) purely for balance reasons. Make dci, parry and weapon skill matter vs it.
Vitek-

Post by Vitek- »

Last night I was still receiving frenzied damage while I was actually off-screen from the attacker lol.
fish, bass
Vitek-

Post by Vitek- »

http://stratics.com/threads/whirlwind-o ... nd.116433/

This is a thread from 2008 where they were discussing mechanics. I remember frenzied being generally unused, and that the one or two times I tried it I saw no difference from regular whirlwind.
fish, bass
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

Yeah frenzied is crazy, but I don't think it's OP at all. Just annoying for mages. Uchira is like one of the only people still using it out of the like 5 people in es/nwo that were running it. I think he even added archery too because frenzied alone wasn't cutting it and easy to get away from.
The Silvertiger

Post by The Silvertiger »

On demise, from a pvm stand point frenzied whirlwind is trash. In pvp, even after the nerf frenzied whirlwind will always be stronger due to the interrupt.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
atomic chicken likes this.