Idea to rise melee dexxers in PVP

Let loose about your latest battles and other PVP shenanigans here. (This section is still subject to moderation.)
Bad Religion

Re: Idea to rise melee dexxers in PVP

Post by Bad Religion »

Jeff havoc and Alvin all play melee tact mages as well.
Legacy

Post by Legacy »

Rarely used characters, really. Havoc's obvious preference is Fippy.
Lucifall
Arden

Post by Arden »

Alvin has a tact mage? I didnt know he even played fel anymore! let alone on anything but his SW
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

Legacy wrote:Rarely used characters, really. Havoc's obvious preference is Fippy.
He plays xx a shit ton, like tonight. Also King Baboon is often CHN's most effective player and he is a pure bushido dexer... riding swipe, frenzied whirlwind, disarm, bleed, etc are all very powerful. Bows are just easier for low ping players which this server has a bunch of. Also in 1v1s in a box, hammer pick, war fork, butchers knife are still the best for tact mage. But in field, xbow and regular bow slightly better. Certain templates just counter others, doesn't mean something is or isn't OP. Sure 3 mages are gonna shit on 3 dexers, that doesn't mean 1 dexer with 2 mages won't beat 3 mages if the dexer is abusing the server mechanics like the mages do.
Legacy

Post by Legacy »

Man, there's no point in even mentioning 1x1's in this particular discussion. It's a very very different scenario than the regular, field pvp which is what happens most of the time. :beathorse:

First off , Baboon is not pure bushido. He's a chiv sw bushido hybrid with 4/6. He is indeed effective, but his most effective tactic for damage dealing is actually an exploit. Aside from that he's pure support for his 10+ archer buddies. And his template is very expensive to build.

XX is an archer. Was a macer for like two days and obviously saw just how effective that was and went back.

Corbin is trying to play Nutflex now as a macer but it just isn't the same effectiveness as when he was sw archer.

Archery is much more powerful now that balanced bows are rampant. The only real advantage melee guys had before was chugging without taking their weapons off... that is now a non-factor.

So yeah, melee is fucked in general if we are talking balance.
Lucifall
Vander Nars

Post by Vander Nars »

Legacy wrote:Man, there's no point in even mentioning 1x1's in this particular discussion. It's a very very different scenario than the regular, field pvp which is what happens most of the time. :beathorse:

First off , Baboon is not pure bushido. He's a chiv sw bushido hybrid with 4/6. He is indeed effective, but his most effective tactic for damage dealing is actually an exploit. Aside from that he's pure support for his 10+ archer buddies. And his template is very expensive to build.

XX is an archer. Was a macer for like two days and obviously saw just how effective that was and went back.

Corbin is trying to play Nutflex now as a macer but it just isn't the same effectiveness as when he was sw archer.

Archery is much more powerful now that balanced bows are rampant. The only real advantage melee guys had before was chugging without taking their weapons off... that is now a non-factor.

So yeah, melee is fucked in general if we are talking balance.
I agree that melee is fucked in general, just cause there is a handful of people willing to play a melee template dont mean that its balanced or inline with archery by any means. When I play my dp dexxer I know he will be less effective than my mage or archer so I only play him when I feel like my group will win regardless of me being in the fight.
Legacy likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

give melee 2 square range

and make health bars auto appear on screen when someone attacks you

then it would be playable
The Silvertiger

Post by The Silvertiger »

Shh
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
zulu2401

Post by zulu2401 »

Calvin wrote:give melee 2 square range

and make health bars auto appear on screen when someone attacks you

then it would be playable
Staffs would be a thing if they had like 3 tile range. Would be kewl
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

it would never work at all, would break too much other stuff, but if you wanted to make UO a proper pvp game with melee as a viable option; that would do it.

i mean on pure rp terms, the dodging and stuff is done in the rolls, not in the actual character running around. an old wizard with 10 dex should not be able to evade a 140 dex warrior for 30 seconds solid, maybe purely running, but you cant even corner people, you get like 1 swing at them then they're off. that's why it's impossibru. you would have to make it super OP to balance the having to be adjacent issue

otherwise it's all mages and archers with the occasional joust for a special move, like, the melee thing is not a problem if you only have to hit once, but if you need to stay in melee range then it's just not practical. maybe with an auto follow bot... but at what point are we not actually playing the same game?

... if i get a script to follow people, or a script to time all my healing and stuff for me, is that not the same as getting an aimbot on an fps that will take care of the aiming for me?

i think it's just fundamentally flawed for melee tbh.. they can duel at least

even back when i played test center on OSI i would make an archer
zulu2401

Post by zulu2401 »

I don't see the point in your argument.... You're complaining about melee dexxers hit chance or people running? If it has you that tilted then why play the template? I.e....spells don't miss unless your target has evasion.
So exactly what's more broken, the ability to swing uninterrupted or run around healing without stopping to cast?
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

i shall use my technical drawing skills to explain

i have drawn a squiggly line for the melee run path, but really it should be 3 lines, 1 either side of the runner, and 1 behind.
i was too lazy to draw more lines :P

but that's the real problem with melee in pvp, if you could maintain a swing speed like an archer can, or it didn't matter like a mage. but like, imagine trying to pvp with a mage if half your spells fizzled, just wouldn't be practical

it's alright for duels like, but only cos the pit stops them running so much

melee would be viable if you just had to be generally close to them tho, rather than right next to them, most of the missed swing chances would be within the range buffer

even with the healing spam, they cant really just stand next to you and do it indefinitely cos as soon as they stop they start dying
so being able to run while casting would be irrelevant if you could reliably hit them while running
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

i suppose you could buff the damage on a normal hit instead, but that'll fuck up anyone that doesn't run
Vitek-

Post by Vitek- »

kapero does well on a melee char. quit being pussies.
Discord: Critical#2911
fish, bass
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

What im sayin ^ lot of dexers do well and are very effective here