A new player - part excited, part worried.

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
Never_Summer

A new player - part excited, part worried.

Post by Never_Summer »

Hello Everyone,

So.. I'm not sure why I'm opening this thread (and whether anyone would actually respond or even read it), but I figured its worth the shot.. Actually I do know why - the damn UO client is taking forever to patch for some reason, and I'm stuck here looking at the screen ^^

Anyways, I haven't played UO in a very, very long time now. More than 10 years for sure. I used to play on a private shard that was hosted locally in my country (Bulgaria), which unfortunately was shut down for reasons I now cannot even recall.

We played there for a number years (I was just a teenager back then), conquering anything the world had to offer. We fought, argued, united, divided... I'm sure all of you know how it goes.. However, no matter what was happening, playing UO was, and till this very day, is, one of my fondest and most cherished memories.

And to be honest, I always thought it will remain just as that - a memory, which I (unfortunately) barely recall in detail nowadays. Nevertheless, few days ago, for some unknown reason, YouTube of all things, decided to put a Harrower kill from your shard (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5SlwaQ ... e=youtu.be) in my recommended feed. I couldn't resist, played the video only for a couple of minutes, and all those past feelings came rushing back in - something I have forgotten completely up until then.

I spent several days contemplating whether it's worth getting back into the game, whether there are even any active communities still around somewhere, aaand after a bit of research and reading - I ended up here.

Now, my memories of UO are very hectic and random – I remember that the last expansion (if they are even called expansions) on my shard was Treasures of Tokudo(? not sure about the spelling here). How far along the line of content are you guys in currently?

Also, can anyone give me an honest opinion – do I even stand a chance starting out as a new player (totally alone, without knowing anyone)?

I’m asking that, because I’m kind of worried. I looked around your forum, checked out the trading section just for fun (and because of my own memories on how I used to buy and sell stuff via our forum as well), and ended up slightly concerned. When I saw the amount of gold you guys trade in for items (you are talking in “kk”s gold?!) my thoughts were – no chance. However, I decided that this shouldn’t be a deal breaker – once I had nothing in my own old shard as well, and yet ended up having everything I could have imagined (my most prized possession (among many other things), were the awesome blue gloves (don’t even remember their name ffs) you had to steal from doom (if it was even called doom). I was in love in my PvP Mage back then.

I’m rambling at this point, please forgive me.

My second concern is about the place of new players in your community – seeing how far off you guys (and gals) are already, I’m doubting you have a guild for newcomers, or anything I might be able to use for assistance? And please do not get me wrong, I am NOT talking about getting items or gold for free (that’s the last thing I’m interested in). I’m thinking more in line of a community or guild that I can ask random questions about the game. As I said, my memories of UO and its mechanics are heavily faded. I remember some of the champions, some of our Harrower fights and fending of PK guilds trying to sabotage us, but that’s about it..

I have no clue where to start, what should I do, or who can I talk to in order to not play this game alone.. My current plan is to create a Bard/Tamer/Mage (that was my 2nd character back in the day) and take it from there (is that even a relevant build anymore?). Not sure exactly how I would pull this off, but my client seems to be all patched now, so I’ll stop wasting everyone’s time here and actually join our beloved world.

If anyone actually read everything up to this point – thank you, I really appreciate it ^^ and I’m sorry you had to go through this wall of text!

See you in game,
Best Regards,
NeverSummer (if available of course :D)
Valkyrie

Re: A new player - part excited, part worried.

Post by Valkyrie »

Yo yo i can help you start
Don't gain the world and lose your soul; wisdom is better than silver or gold.

Discord: Maya/FireFly#0573
royal kapero2 likes this.
royal kapero2

Post by royal kapero2 »

I can take you under my wing, we will go to the Felucca dungeon and I will watch how you kill an afk farmer and we will get your first 100k.

I would give you 100k from my bank, but I think people need to work for it, otherwise they will get used to the socials.
The Silvertiger and Bama like this.
kolbycrouch

Post by kolbycrouch »

Just a fair warning.

This server allows the use of several scripting programs.

You will be at a severe disadvantage without them.

They are used for pvp.

They are used for pvm.

They are used for crafting and farming.
Never_Summer

Post by Never_Summer »

Hi Both,

Thanks for your quick replies!

@Royal kapero - When I said I'm not looking for free stuff, I really meant it. I am completely certain that someone giving me free things (or ones I haven't fully earned), even with the best of intentions, will only ruin my experience. I will try farming some BODs when I'm starved for money and will take it from there (I have 1000 gold in me right now as you know, which is more than I can spend or need at the moment).

I have much more serious problems than gold right now - for example, how the hell do I make my screen bigger, I can't see anything when my game window is this small :(

http://imgur.com/a/rDn1k
Never_Summer

Post by Never_Summer »

kolbycrouch wrote:Just a fair warning.

This server allows the use of several scripting programs.

You will be at a severe disadvantage without them.

They are used for pvp.

They are used for pvm.

They are used for crafting and farming.
Hi Kolby, I appreciate the heads up.. We didn't allow for any but the most basic scripts back in our day. Can you give me some examples on what's possible (and allowed) nowadays using scripts?

Also, if they are so automated that they can disrupt regular gameplay, why do you guys allow them?
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

Hey! Welcome to UO Demise!

This server is different than some you may have played before. It is very old server, but that doesnt mean starting new here is impossible or even hard.

For a new player just starting out fresh, you will really enjoy the server. This server(when it has them) has the best events I've ever seen in UO. Christmastown and Halloweentown are amazing! I would take up anyone's offer on here for help getting sorted with maybe an lrc suit scrappers etc, so you can start farming.

If you really know what you are doing in this era, it only takes a couple weeks to get good pvp suit, given you put enough time in.

I would recommend training up a necro mage first once you get an lrc suit. It is a very versatile template that you can take almost anywhere. While you are training him up or farming on him, I would start working on a tamer right away. Both characters are free to train pretty much and you can get a lot out of them when they are finished.

Making a miner or lumberjacker to have running is always a nice way to make a little extra gold. Same with the heartwood quest.

Personally, when it comes to making gold or pvm, I am a go big or go home kind of person. I would rather farm doom or champ spawns then farm single monsters for gold. That being said, I still like suiting up a luck suit and farming mobs to try to get good jewelry. If you manage to get a good artifact from doing these, they are worth a lot and you will probably need artifacts your character anyway .

I returned to the server last month after a long break and I had nothing. Not gold or items. Now I have every major artifact I want except trinket and inquis.

If you need any help or advice or scripts you can PM me here and I would be more than happy to help you out.

GOOD LUCK AND AGAIN WELCOME TO UO DEMISE!
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

Also, that video you watched I am the guy with the really sexy voice.

Compared to most of the harrower fights that was actually a small number of people. Usually youll see around 30+ fighting over harrowers and sometimes despise and when you get several guilds even more.

It's not unusual to have nightly 20-40 man fights in despise depending on which guilds show up.
EV

Post by EV »

make 4 lumberjack/chiv/carpenter/fletcher/tinkers and hit the ground running doing heartwood quest 24/7 365. youll be loaded in no time.
If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit. ~ unknown.

Discord: EV#6151
Bad Religion likes this.
Dr Dark

Post by Dr Dark »

Never_Summer wrote: I have much more serious problems than gold right now - for example, how the hell do I make my screen bigger, I can't see anything when my game window is this small :(
http://imgur.com/a/rDn1k
Hi,

I had problems here. You can try to set your desktop to 125% or see below link for some other ways around it. It's an old game meant to play on old 17" or 19" 4:3 monitors running at lower resolutions.

I suggest also you set either razor/UO steam/UOclient to play in windows XP service pack 3 and run as administrator in the properties. If you are using windows 7 also turn off aero or there's a setting somewhere in properties that can do that also just for the game. If you are in windows 10 you have the option of running the mouse in a separate thread or not. Both will have issues but best to run in separate thread and get used to the slight flicker...

See here for more options on resolution: http://www.uogdemise.com/community/view ... =11&t=9955

For game window size use either in game options to set game window size or re-size using razor/UO steam.

Once you have got over that you can start enjoying the game.... 8-)
An alcoholic villain with the ability to manipulate the darkforce. :twisted:
Dr Dark

Post by Dr Dark »

Oh and here are some useful instructions on the in game options menu:

http://www.uoguide.com/Classic_Client_Options

(see display section)

http://uo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/0 ... splay2.jpg
An alcoholic villain with the ability to manipulate the darkforce. :twisted: