What is wrong with UO (large text)

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
Llama Vortex

What is wrong with UO (large text)

Post by Llama Vortex »

Well people tend to blame other people for making bots, but what they ignore is that the way the system of game rewards is designed encourages this kind of behavior.

Most of high end items a player can desire is obtained by some repetitive task that has nothing to do with playing the actual game. You want a 5 mod armor or weapon? Create a bot to collect bods, to complete them and finally to craft the items and sort.  Want a good bow to PvP? Make a bot to collect wood, another to run heartwood.

Even PvM is highly botable, if you want a good lootbag you can make a bot to kill miasma endlessly. Want an orny? Well most people aren't able to run gountlet as a bot, but then again is a repetive task boring as hell.

One of the few desired items left for those interested in playing the game is ps's and champion artifacts but that got to get old with time.

OSI noticed this. Instead of trying to combat bots with staff supervision, they've put other players in charge of this.
All high end mobs are capable of giving an item (not only rings, but weapons and armors as well) that is usable on pvp and the chances of getting it in felluca are slightly higher. Trasure chests are also a good way of getting high end stuff. So if you want to better your chances you need to face the dangers of the pvp wold. You can still bot there, but if you do it for too long at some point someone will find you, specially if you increase the attractiveness of the dungeons in felluca.
Of course, if you want the peace o trammel you are still able to obtain good items there, but it will take more time.

Wrapping things up, in order to combat the bot population you need to put the most desired in game rewards to be obtained by a dangerous, non repetitve task, and a good way to achieve this is by putting players in charge of monitoring each other.

Demise's bot population is out of control. Probably at least half of the online character are performing a afk repetitive task. IMO, Demise needs desperately a revamp, what you think?
Tanya

Re: What is wrong with UO (large text)

Post by Tanya »

I agree
All my characters are filling bods right now. They are filling bods day and night.
This is all I do last time in game, because I want to get nice weapons and nice armor.
I was always wondering, why 99% of loot from monsters is junk, I never saw a nice usable piece of armor in loot.
Peerless Hunter
Guide to Whammy - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=314
My youtube channel - /watch?v=sx5zGCbILtA
Weekly Bedlam Spawns - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9131
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Tanya wrote:I agree
All my characters are filling bods right now. They are filling bods day and night.
This is all I do last time in game, because I want to get nice weapons and nice armor

You see Tanya your problem is you are only using 4 accounts
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Chacal

Post by Chacal »

I feel you, and prolly that's one of the best arguments I saw so far about the issue of afk farming. I thank you for sharing your point of view and I agree with it.

Still, I think what should be highlighted is that AFK farming is a fact, only a fool can deny it, which is very-very different of treat it like a natural thing. You are bringin afk farming as a problem, and thats what afk farming is: a problem. UO is very unfair about rewarding players, still, this dont justify cheating. The thing is, as I said, cheating is a fact. We'll prolly never put awareness in the heads that acts justifying their ends by their means. Its easier to create ways to make insatiable people get what they want inside the system than try to put some conscience on them.
Chacal #5588
elder rigmarole philosopher
Ajani

Post by Ajani »

This is all I do last time in game, because I want to get nice weapons and nice armor.
I was always wondering, why 99% of loot from monsters is junk, I never saw a nice usable piece of armor in loot.
So you just admitted to afk farming day and night......
Made In Quebec wrote:Some people's pleasure are sticking vegetables up their asses. While it's not my personal cup of tea, they can do as they please, since it's their asshole's.

I find this quite entertaining.
Casting is shit
DG

Post by DG »

AFK bot farming is inevitable,as long as there are repetitive tasks.It applies not only to a game,but also to the real world.Why they develop AI technology in the first place?Because there are so many repetitive and boring works in reality:)
To encourage players to actually play the game,the most direct method is that ingame tasks are turned to non-repetitive ones which can only be done once.However it brings a new problem.You need a huge number of non-repetitive tasks to keep players playing,which means new contents should be added now and then.More work for EOS:P
Another way is to 'put other players in charge of this'.Never seen players afk farming in spawns,farming in fel is always risky.Farming in fel should be more rewarding,so players will be more active in fel,which will solve the afk farming problem in a degree.
Llama Vortex likes this.
Tanya

Post by Tanya »

Ajani wrote:
So you just admitted to afk farming day and night......
There is nothing wrong with filling bods afk.
Peerless Hunter
Guide to Whammy - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=314
My youtube channel - /watch?v=sx5zGCbILtA
Weekly Bedlam Spawns - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9131
Bama likes this.
Shallan

Post by Shallan »

DG wrote:AFK bot farming is inevitable,as long as there are repetitive tasks.It applies not only to a game,but also to the real world.Why they develop AI technology in the first place?Because there are so many repetitive and boring works in reality:)
To encourage players to actually play the game,the most direct method is that ingame tasks are turned to non-repetitive ones which can only be done once.However it brings a new problem.You need a huge number of non-repetitive tasks to keep players playing,which means new contents should be added now and then.More work for EOS:P
Another way is to 'put other players in charge of this'.Never seen players afk farming in spawns,farming in fel is always risky.Farming in fel should be more rewarding,so players will be more active in fel,which will solve the afk farming problem in a degree.
yeah boost more FELL Pvm loot so ur guild can farm more blood elementals in Shame....
Before archer runics best bows were from loot.
Like non di Hit spell yumis that 3 shot ppl :D, but yes armors are still crap from loot even if u encht them.

UABOF - Users against Bullshit on forum.
Rakka likes this.
DG

Post by DG »

Shallan wrote: yeah boost more FELL Pvm loot so ur guild can farm more blood elementals in Shame....
Not sure whats your point.it has nothing to do with guilds.i would appreciate it if you made more constructive suggestions.

I do think new contents with non-repetitive tasks and more fel activities will help relieve the afk farming problem.Many pvm players dont like fel things.One of my friends has played Demise for 14 years,yet never been in fel for one minute.I respect that.Everyone can has his own playstyle.For pvm players,adding new contents seems to be the only way to keep them from afk playing.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

With the lights out, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
medamaude and ShadowMoon like this.
Les Stroud

Post by Les Stroud »

Bottom line is easy uo and steam ruined everything
silva

Post by silva »

i Agree with Llama Vortex,

i started playing uo at 14 years old, and i did all this repetitive thing not because they were less boring back then, it was because i had the time, now i am 30 years old and i just cant aford to be in the pc so manny hours.

I think, that even if bots are not a good thing to UO, they are here to stay, just because the population of uo players has gotten older and wont be in the pc the hours they used to be.

Making more atractive felucca its a very good option, but i dont think it solves it all. you must leave an option for active players who dont like pvp.

Maybe a kind of "mini champs" could be implemented where the loot of these champs is boosted, and spawned in ishnear, tokuno and malas.
Llama Vortex likes this.
The Silvertiger

Post by The Silvertiger »

It seems that afk resource gathering is like speeding. Everyone does it, but no one is a criminal.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Frasier likes this.
ortiz

Post by ortiz »

Gauntlet is 100% afkable
Bama wrote:
Opywang wrote:You have to pertitipate

Is that like Mittittippi
Fuck off

Amish Hammer

Post by Amish Hammer »