Jail Time

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
The Silvertiger

Jail Time

Post by The Silvertiger »

Bad Religion wrote:what do you think about this: for every[edit] 1 minute you dont respond to afk check that is 1 hour your character will be jailed
I think this is a great idea. If unattended more than 30 minutes ban for a week and scale upwards. If unattended for 12 hours permaban. At 12 hours the offender obviously doesn't respect your authority.

I think punishment should be scaled based on perceived intent. If you're unable to respond in 30 minutes your intent was probably to be afk. If you respond within 5 minutes or so you may have went to the bathroom. While justice is still served by giving you a punishment for your crimes, you still can receive a merciful judgement.

I don't know exactly how staff would code this, but I'm thinking code a timer of some sort tied to a holding cell. So move the character to the room[kinda like you do with the warning room]. Then a timer starts. Once they walk through a gate their timer stops [or if the timer reaches the 12 hour limit auto move to the permaban cell] and they start their sentence. After saying the keyword of course [if they don't say the keyword in a certain time return them to the holding cell and change the serial/graphic on the gate.]

To staff, I say, thank you for your service. I hope that the recent jailings/bannings will change the mindset of the community. Have a great day, night, dusk, or dawn.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Bama
Bug Hunter

Re: Jail Time

Post by Bama »

Great idea.......

So disconnects will cost players not in a safe logout area anywhere from 1 to 7 hours of jail time?
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Frasier

Post by Frasier »

Bama wrote:Great idea....... So disconnects will cost players not in a safe logout area anywhere from 1 to 7 hours of jail time?
Shhhhhhh :)

Hallelujah!
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

Bama wrote:Great idea.......

So disconnects will cost players not in a safe logout area anywhere from 1 to 7 hours of jail time?
currently they have 3 minutes to respond then ruled guilty, so yes and it's better than 1 week for looking away for a few minutes, but still punishes people that afk for hours.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

I think it’s a little late to punish anyone gathering resources now

Gold farmers and people using an amount of accounts greater than 4 is a different story
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Josh

Post by Josh »

Nah I think it’s fine punishing resource gatherers still. I think there should be some leeway if a certain amount of time has passed between offenses. So maybe if you haven’t committed an offense another in 6 months you get reduced one level of punishment.

E.g. you get caught and are jailed for 24h, next offense equals potentially maybe 3 days or something then 6 months pass and you don’t break the rule again and you do it again after 6 months and you get 24h again instead of the 3 days you’d get if you did it again immediately.
Made In Quebec

Post by Made In Quebec »

Josh wrote: I think there should be some leeway if a certain amount of time has passed between offenses.
I disagree.

Getting caught, let's say 6 month's after your last offense, does not mean that you have be clean for 6 month's, it only means you have not been caught for 6 month's.

So I don't believe in leeway for time between offenses.

"Your honor, I would suggest that we void the death penalty for my client. Yes, I know, he has been found guilty of murder, but his last murder goes back to 28 years ago! I think my client made an effort for 28 years, to not kill anybody, therefore he should have clemency in his sentence"

Yea, that don't work either :P
Vander Nars

Post by Vander Nars »

Made In Quebec wrote:
Josh wrote: I think there should be some leeway if a certain amount of time has passed between offenses.
I disagree.

Getting caught, let's say 6 month's after your last offense, does not mean that you have be clean for 6 month's, it only means you have not been caught for 6 month's.

So I don't believe in leeway for time between offenses.

"Your honor, I would suggest that we void the death penalty for my client. Yes, I know, he has been found guilty of murder, but his last murder goes back to 28 years ago! I think my client made an effort for 28 years, to not kill anybody, therefore he should have clemency in his sentence"

Yea, that don't work either :P
Honestly comparing cheating in a video game to murder is a stupid analogy, speeding would be a better example and from my own experience with speeding tickets judges/officers tend to show some leeway if ur last offense has been a while.
Beermoney and hrs024 like this.
Made In Quebec

Post by Made In Quebec »

Vander Nars wrote: Honestly comparing cheating in a video game to murder is a stupid analogy, speeding would be a better example and from my own experience with speeding tickets judges/officers tend to show some leeway if ur last offense has been a while.
Honestly, the analogy has just been written for my own pleasure, I could have used any offenses, and it would not have mattered.

The main statement defending my argument was:
Made In Quebec wrote:Getting caught, let's say 6 month's after your last offense, does not mean that you have be clean for 6 month's, it only means you have not been caught for 6 month's.
Which has nothing to do with the extra comparaison I offered.

If you have to argue on one of my statements, it's this one, not the flavour text that I add for entertainment.
Vander Nars

Post by Vander Nars »

The Silvertiger wrote:
Bad Religion wrote:what do you think about this: for every[edit] 1 minute you dont respond to afk check that is 1 hour your character will be jailed
I think this is a great idea. If unattended more than 30 minutes ban for a week and scale upwards. If unattended for 12 hours permaban. At 12 hours the offender obviously doesn't respect your authority.

I think punishment should be scaled based on perceived intent. If you're unable to respond in 30 minutes your intent was probably to be afk. If you respond within 5 minutes or so you may have went to the bathroom. While justice is still served by giving you a punishment for your crimes, you still can receive a merciful judgement.

I don't know exactly how staff would code this, but I'm thinking code a timer of some sort tied to a holding cell. So move the character to the room[kinda like you do with the warning room]. Then a timer starts. Once they walk through a gate their timer stops [or if the timer reaches the 12 hour limit auto move to the permaban cell] and they start their sentence. After saying the keyword of course [if they don't say the keyword in a certain time return them to the holding cell and change the serial/graphic on the gate.]

To staff, I say, thank you for your service. I hope that the recent jailings/bannings will change the mindset of the community. Have a great day, night, dusk, or dawn.
There has to be a cut off point before perma ban, with ur system the clock is still counting even when im in jail til i go thru the gate. So what happens if i was afking some blood eles and i get back to the computer and see im in jail but than suddenly something happens. maybe i get a call and someone i love was in a car wreck and i have to drop everything and go. well by ur rules by the time i get back to deal with my char ill already be perma ban cause something happen out of my control. Im not saying this will be the norm but it could happen to someone.

Also what if someone is unaware that the timer doesnt cut off til u go thru the gate and just sits in jail cause they are busy, not everyone is on the forums and some of them dont speak or read english well so the gate timer imo is just a bad idea.
royal kapero2

Post by royal kapero2 »

Send the rule breakers to the Fel. Flag all their characters into grey/orange. And let them be attackable by everyone else, on roads, in towns, in dungeons. Everywhere.
Vander Nars

Post by Vander Nars »

Made In Quebec wrote:
Vander Nars wrote: Honestly comparing cheating in a video game to murder is a stupid analogy, speeding would be a better example and from my own experience with speeding tickets judges/officers tend to show some leeway if ur last offense has been a while.
Honestly, the analogy has just been written for my own pleasure, I could have used any offenses, and it would not have mattered.

The main statement defending my argument was:
Made In Quebec wrote:Getting caught, let's say 6 month's after your last offense, does not mean that you have be clean for 6 month's, it only means you have not been caught for 6 month's.
Which has nothing to do with the extra comparaison I offered.

If you have to argue on one of my statements, it's this one, not the flavour text that I add for entertainment.
Even that statement is wrong cause its not true across the board, is it true for some players? Im sure it is but ur saying that there doesn't exist any players who might stop cheating after getting caught but give in to temptation down the road.

I got a 500 dollar speeding ticket when i was younger, i didnt speed for a while after that cause i was worried about getting caught and that was alot of money but after a while I got caught speeding again. That doesnt mean I was speeding everytime I drove, sometimes I got the urge to let it rip and burn up the road but most of the time I followed the rules.
Made In Quebec

Post by Made In Quebec »

Vander Nars wrote: Even that statement is wrong cause its not true across the board, is it true for some players? Im sure it is but ur saying that there doesn't exist any players who might stop cheating after getting caught but give in to temptation down the road.

I got a 500 dollar speeding ticket when i was younger, i didnt speed for a while after that cause i was worried about getting caught and that was alot of money but after a while I got caught speeding again. That doesnt mean I was speeding everytime I drove, sometimes I got the urge to let it rip and burn up the road but most of the time I followed the rules.
Honestly, my statement is neither wrong nor right.

There is no right or wrong answer, it all gets to a point where it's a judgement call, and a judgement can go either way.

Putting myself in that position, I would absolutely believe, that more often than not, the time between offense is the time that elapsed between being caught, and not between infractions.

This is definately safe to assume on Demise, I've seen it times and times again, where someone gets jailed for a random infractions, and the minute they are out of jail, press the play macro.

Also, staff certainly do not have the man power to control every player, on a hourly/daily basis. Therefore, it is again safe to assume, that people take advantage of these inactive window, to profit from their illicit activities.

Believing that there is "fair" chances that people are simply not breaking the rules, because they got caught recently when the staff is inactive and not looking for them, is by all means, extremely slim, but possible.
Mister Pink

Post by Mister Pink »

Bama wrote:I think it’s a little late to punish anyone gathering resources now

Gold farmers and people using an amount of accounts greater than 4 is a different story
I agree. Wood, Gems, Iron, and bods should be free game in my opinion. The enforcement was so lax for so long it kind of feels silly to to start enforcement now. Besides nobody is doing any of these things manual these days. Keeping prices of kits low is a good thing. It means players just starting can get serviceable gear relatively quickly. I guess since heatwood drops decent jewels you have to enforce that, but tailor, blacksmith is a different story.

Gold, Jewel farming, two players in combat at the same time, more than 4 accounts/4 houses, and breaking rules that effect pvp should be the main focus. IE bringing 2 players down to hit htown boss. You should be jailed. Have a shadow account so you can get the latest idoc. You should be jailed. Block dungeon areas with objects with no exit. You should be jailed. Afking wisps or at miasma. You should be jailed. Turn on your doom bot and leave your desk to grab coffee. You should be jailed.
Vander Nars

Post by Vander Nars »

Made In Quebec wrote:
Vander Nars wrote: Even that statement is wrong cause its not true across the board, is it true for some players? Im sure it is but ur saying that there doesn't exist any players who might stop cheating after getting caught but give in to temptation down the road.

Honestly, my statement is neither wrong nor right.

There is no right or wrong answer, it all gets to a point where it's a judgement call, and a judgement can go either way.

Putting myself in that position, I would absolutely believe, that more often than not, the time between offense is the time that elapsed between being caught, and not between infractions.

This is definately safe to assume on Demise, I've seen it times and times again, where someone gets jailed for a random infractions, and the minute they are out of jail, press the play macro.

Also, staff certainly do not have the man power to control every player, on a hourly/daily basis. Therefore, it is again safe to assume, that people take advantage of these inactive window, to profit from their illicit activities.

Believing that there is "fair" chances that people are simply not breaking the rules, because they got caught recently when the staff is inactive and not looking for them, is by all means, extremely slim, but possible.
I guess ur the type of person to just assume the worst of someone :<