*Shard Event Suggestion* Transmogrification Gold & Item Sink

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
Dwn Wth Vwls

Re: *Shard Event Suggestion* Transmogrification Gold & Item Sink

Post by Dwn Wth Vwls »

me too - should be seriously considered. For staff, seems like an easy add with very little time investment and no mechanic repercussions to consider.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Dwn Wth Vwls wrote: December 14th, 2019, 12:44 am no mechanic repercussions to consider.
but massive aesthetic ones...

tho admittedly these have happened before with neon pigments and darksides.

this is the sort of thing you'd have to do a poll on really, but the forum is not representative, so would be hard to do. you'd have to ask the chinese and stuff too. you are talking about a major change to the 'feel' of the server. some people would like it, some people wouldn't.

personally i would say if it aint broke dont fix it, and that you have a fan base that likes the classic feel, which you would risk alienating.
the issue for me, is that it would make it feel like a modded server, and our selling point is that we're not.

/that said, people are only really playing the modded content.
The Silvertiger

Post by The Silvertiger »

It is broke though. Why do you think so many games allow transmogging or customizing.

Imagine if houses were all the same and you were only allowed to decorate with the same 10 or 20 items as everyone else. You could, however, have different colors items. Would that not be absolutely boring? This game is a sandbox where we[or rather you] the players get to make whatever [it is actually limited, but there's such a great variety] we want out of sand[pixels.] This is one area[customizing your suit] where customization is frowned upon by game mechanics. In other areas, such as houses, skills, and stats, customization is applauded as ingenuity.

I say if Jim wants to run around in his Ronald McDonald costume, he shouldn't be punished so much that he is not able to fight back if he's ambushed on his morning run.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Frasier likes this.
Dwn Wth Vwls

Post by Dwn Wth Vwls »

I’ve changed my tune because I can see what kind of uphill battle this would be. I would vote only for epaulettes because they’re an OSI item already added in this era so no customization required. I vote that we continue on this path the parallel OSI as much as possible.
desalonne likes this.
Anthony File

Post by Anthony File »

Bump
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

make battleground.

vendors sell expendable pvp items..?

pvpers raid scrolls, sell scrolls to newbies, newbies farm gold, buy scrolls and artifacts to make characters, pve people buy deco, pvp people buy usable items. done.

whats wrong with a battlegrounds event? you'd just have to say what sort of items would be useful and fun... oh i suppose this is off topic..
sorry i read it as gold sink and event suggestion.. i should probably get some sleep.

rly tho, even i'd probably play a battlegrounds if you had npcs that needed killing in it, and it had some kinda drops.
.. have to join a guild tho... meh..

so this thread is just about dismantling the game some more.. urgh.. i hate you guys.. ;P

to be fair you might have point, in a couple of other things they have options to toggle hide equipment. not sure about just making it look like whatever you want tho.. seems kinda... not good. suppose it would make having a uniform easier in pvp
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

just sayin off the bat that it wont work anyway, cos someone said the in game model for this era doesn't have a graphic for epaulettes.. and if you modded it people would need a custom client.. suppose you could use the new era model but probably has issues.

anyway, the epaulettes on top of the robes would make a nice sort of team colour banner, if you made it a guild thing with a set colour. have people compete for better colours or something.

it wouldn't work anyway but you get the idea. i can never tell who is who... :lol:

it's what a guild tabard is for really. but epaulettes would do the job just as well or better.

if you were worried about the art style, you could have it a battlegrounds only item ;PP
The Silvertiger

Epaulets are in the robe slot. The client wouldn't need to be custom as the art is already in there as long as you've patched that far. They might have to script them in the RunUO code, but they probably already have them. Usually the only need for custom clients is for custom maps. I think custom housing might be an issue too, but someone else might could tell you better on that. I'm not sure if making them cross slot would require a custom client, though.

Take for instance, right now servuo servers have epaulets. Servuo is basically an updated RunUO. No custom clients needed.

I'm not sure how much you know about RunUO, but it basically works like this: you have the client downloaded from uo, no changes needed. Then you have the server that allows players to connect to your server , bypass OSI, and customize stuff seen by (or mechanics) any player who connects to your server. Client modifications are usually player side such as art mods: stumps, etc. If an administrator has modded the client that the server reads and runs off of: maps, custom hues, custom arts[mobiles, etc]... then each player would need to download a custom client to be able to see the pixels. Take for example if you play on uof without their custom client their 30x30 houses are invisible because that is a client side modification. However, you will be just fine playing a majority of the game: pvming, pvping, crafting, and rping.

So everything on Demise is server side vs client side modifications. The client basically gives the sandbox[server] boundaries and says play within this.

I hope this hasn't been too confusing and if you were unsure of some things it might have answered some questions.
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

yeah but that's what im saying, they'd need both robe and shoulders for it to work.
it wouldn't be hard to make cos they're already in there, you'd just copy it, assign it a new slot and they'd draw on top of each other. but it would be a custom character thing..

might work actually... anyway. oh you said that :P

thing is i dont wanna know how runUO works, because i wanna play it as a player, and that can be useful anyway.

erm.. i do know how games work though.. i literally have a... anyway.. you get the art assets from downloading the base client, so you get all the textures and models. how those are used is re-definable because it is all reverse engineered from the original game. if you can do it with the original game assets, then it'll work, but if you had to create new game assets - ie. new textures (like for the custom houses you are talking about), then people would need to download a package other than the standard game client. but...

if they put in the new character model which has both graphics on the model, and just drew them both, wired the draw for the shoulders to a different slot, that should actually work.. just it might look a bit weird cos they're not made to fit like that.
but the new models should have shoulders, and extra slots that we wouldn't use. you could just re-purpose one of those and draw both overlapping. but i dunno if the newer model looks alright... if it even works like that. i think someone said it did somewhere. it probably does.

if it were me, i'd try to put everything on a different facet and just keep the original game intact. that way if stuff goes wrong you can just close the gate and call it an event.
The Silvertiger

So upon reviewing the whole thread the only reason to have a "shoulder" slot is if you are adding epaulets in a separate slot than robe slot.

This is what they currently look like in the client in the robe slot:

You can't wear a robe with them as they are in the robe slot. This is already coded into mine and your clients.

Era specific is server side. Take for example the stygian abyss dungeon and ter mur. These are actually in your client. A staff member could drag you to these locations on Demise, but the server limits access to them by not giving you a way to get to them.

So what would this whole process look like?
Most likely staff would use the graphic art "deed" to make a deed\ticket\whatever they want to call it that would tell the server that the item that was graphic art "robe" is now going to be graphic art "epaulets"....

If you have any questions regarding this, I will be available later. Just drop a pm.
Selling List & Vendor

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

this is confusing, are you trying to tell me how it works?

erm.. i sorta.. know all of that... if we have an updated client, then we should have all the paperdolls, models, etc. from stygian abyss and more.. all you'd need to do is tell the server, to tell the client, to use that model... same way you do when you make a female character or a male character.. you have both models in your client, just you are telling it which to use...

i dont know exactly how it'll work, but it should be along those lines.
there may well be reasons why it wont work, but it might.

as for the robe slot and shoulder slot... you can make it draw whatever you want... it's just a question of if the artists have made the art to fit when it's used like that.

i just figured if that's what people wanted then it would give them the ability to get them. but at the same time might as well be useful and make it a team thing, because you're always complaining about group pvp, and i can never see who is who. use them to make gameplay in the form of better colours, ie. darkside ones for the winning guild. they might fit and could just be put in as a nice aesthetic thing you get for joining a guild and pvping. or if they looked too bad you could just put them in the battlegrounds. or allow people to toggle hide the robe...

there are ways to do what you want... possibly. possibly not.

you could do it with a custom client for sure. but it would defeat the purpose... as custom clients often do... unless you just wanna win...

does anyone wanna make a case for why they dont enforce a specific client with checks on the file sizes and stuff?
The Silvertiger

I think to have epaulets and another robe slot item you would have to create a new slot for the epaulets or other robe slot item, which would, I think, require a custom client.

Honestly, as far as transmogging, the capability is already on Demise it's just for body art. Masks, sashes, and flippers allow you to change the art mod of your body. So they would just create another item that does the same thing. I mean even right now a staff member could [props an item and change it's graphic from robe to epaulets.

It's really all basic. I don't even code and I'm sure I could write the code for it.
Selling List & Vendor

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

The Silvertiger wrote: July 5th, 2020, 11:22 pm I think to have epaulets and another robe slot item you would have to create a new slot for the epaulets or other robe slot item, which would, I think, require a custom client.
you might be right. but if the SA models have extra slots which are just turned off/not used, for idk what. like the earring slot used to be.. tbh they probably dont, looking at it. idk how much osi updated stuff, but uo.com is offline apparently, so idk. but all i was saying is if there was an empty slot that was added to the game in the update foe like a new talisman or something, and we weren't using it because we dont use those rules, so we hadn't updated the models. we could have put in the new models, and instead of making the slot do what it's supposed to do, make it hold shoulder items instead, and then just draw them on the character when it's equipped... i dont think you get how games work tbh...
The Silvertiger wrote: July 5th, 2020, 11:22 pm Honestly, as far as transmogging, the capability is already on Demise it's just for body art. Masks, sashes, and flippers allow you to change the art mod of your body. So they would just create another item that does the same thing. I mean even right now a staff member could [props an item and change it's graphic from robe to epaulets.

It's really all basic. I don't even code and I'm sure I could write the code for it.
well you could just make a customized graphics thing on your own client to make the robe look like shoulders instead... just it will only show up for you, and everyone that has the robe will have have the shoulders to you... i dont think that's what you want.

plz stop trying to get the gms to add things that are literally just because you want them.. like you want an item that is new and costs lots of gold, so you can swan about in it. expecting gms to do it all for you with no game purpose beyond that... same with the casting just so you can win duels with your ping... it's annoying, they have better things to do.

you know in psychology there is the id, the ego, and the super-ego. this is Freud btw, he was a douche, but this kinda has a point.
the id is lizard brain saying what it wants.
the ego is problem solving, figures out how to get what id wants.
and the super-ego is like parent, informs the ego if id should have what it wants.

you guys are all id, with an abusive ego, and no super-ego.

this is why i say you're like the sjw types, cos that's them as well. when did not taking no for an answer become a thing?
and why is terrorism now the go to solution...

like how is your brain working here..
>see shoulder things
>"me want those, but no want everyone to have, just me! cos i am awesome. i has gold to prove awesome, gold = awesome = these"
>gm can make, gm come, take gold, make thing for me.
:stick:

it really doesn't work like that.

well, it kinda does i suppose... but the gms dont do what you want, they use what you want, to make you do what they want.
.. this is the thing, like.. the stuff you are on about, what you think is games design; isn't. that's just using the tools, anyone can do that.. i take all of that for granted, and not wrongly so.
the things you are saying, are like on the level of talking to a musician, and saying "what if we pulled the string?". like, yeah, that is taken for granted... honestly i dont want to belittle people. but you need to understand that you are often not helping when you are trying to help... well, you can. but the dev team need to appreciate they are not getting audience level feedback...
The Silvertiger

What is wrong with you? Do you understand this thread? Do you understand I'm not the creator of the thread?

8 people said "like" via button or post. I think 4 hard no's and 1 on the fence. The numbers would be higher but you keep running people off forums.
Last edited by The Silvertiger on July 6th, 2020, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Selling List & Vendor