My own land | A journey through an empty shard

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
Chuckles

Re: My own land | A journey through an empty shard

Post by Chuckles »

I been working on a side project of my own which is to SPEED RUN Ultima - reading your posts was pretty inspiring for me to continue the project, and maybe collab on a proper "official" speedrun shard, not hosted from a server but download the files and run locally.

My goal is to start a fresh character in new haven to killing harrower in 1 sitting, filmed, documented, and theory-crafted, 8 hours or less start to finish.

I have started a pretty extensive spreadsheet on my theory craft project to achieve this.

Let me know if you or anyone in the community wants to help collab on this project, maybe get a showcasing at a AGDQ event.
Otim O'Connel

Post by Otim O'Connel »

I spent years making custom art and tweaking own my private server. I use to come to Demise to look at houses for deco ideas. Then one day I decided what would it be like to actually play again on a shard. Been here ever since.
~ We are eternal all this pain is an illusion
ImageMy Buy ListImage
ImageMy Vendor Image
The Silvertiger

Post by The Silvertiger »

Chuckles wrote:I been working on a side project of my own which is to SPEED RUN Ultima - reading your posts was pretty inspiring for me to continue the project, and maybe collab on a proper "official" speedrun shard, not hosted from a server but download the files and run locally.

My goal is to start a fresh character in new haven to killing harrower in 1 sitting, filmed, documented, and theory-crafted, 8 hours or less start to finish.

I have started a pretty extensive spreadsheet on my theory craft project to achieve this.

Let me know if you or anyone in the community wants to help collab on this project, maybe get a showcasing at a AGDQ event.
I'm just not seeing it. Training the skills by itself will take a lot of your allotted time. Then the actual champ skull farming. Solo oaks is probably at least an hour that's without hiccups. That's not mentioning training crafting skills and camping doom/champs for scrolls/suit. And if you use taming... Just forget about the 8 hours. They'll be gone just in taming.

Now if you're going to give yourself a suit, skills, and stats then it would be nothing to just go solo some spawns and solo the harry.

I applaud your imagination... I hope you find a way to do it.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Gargl Kark

Post by Gargl Kark »

two and a half years later, I have to say that all work was lost, due to me being too stupid to make a backup before resetting my computer.
not sure if I have the will to get this back on.
Whammy | Timezone: GMT+2

2020-09-17: SALE | Jewels List
Xionu likes this.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Gargl Kark wrote: January 31st, 2020, 9:42 pm not sure if I have the will to get this back on.
Yes you do
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Gargl Kark

Post by Gargl Kark »

This is to Bama Ramone:

Either I didn't forget so much, or servUO works better these days.
Now I need to populate the shard.

Bama likes this.
Dwn Wth Vwls

Post by Dwn Wth Vwls »

How creepy would it be if you had your own shard, never gave out the info, and as you're running around you see a player name flash on your screen for a split second.......
Gargl Kark

Post by Gargl Kark »

All right,

while most of people here whine at our precious server gone, I had my private North Korean realm where I can do as I please.
This time I was a bit more efficient, some of the dire lessons learned from my first shard stuck.
So in short, I achieved this:
  • Stage 1
    Finished training in New Haven
    this time I took some more time, to exploit young status and learning effects some more
    Apart from this fluffy hipster beard, the looks are quite decent at this stage as well:
  • Stage 2
    Mastered Despise 1st and 2nd level
    Man... the same tedious hit-and-run kinda shit like before. Anyway, the outcome is fine and more or less what I expected.
    Also, I can laugh at the Earth eles and Ettins now, as any PVPer laughs at the rest of us from their cowardly distance :)
    Have a look at my stash at the end of that stage:
    Top left are some LRC suits that slowly build up. As most items are below LRC 10, it really takes some time.
    Spare Jewels, Armor and Weapons are there too.
    Surely you notice the Virtue Artifacts in the lower right corner, and Janaa's Staff! Wonder how long it takes to get all of the (rather useless) Virtue Armor Set. Seemingly this is the easiest way to get decent armor all by myself for now. So it will be hack-and-slay time for a while.
You may see that the looks of my char changed significantly from stage 1 to stage 2. That's because right after I had the server up and running, I discovered that I misconfigured two things:

first, there is a switch to turn on defined treasure chest locations. You know that feeling when that sore hangover from saturday night slowly wears off, and you feel humane again? That's what this felt like to me, you may remember the outrage over the random distribtion of Tmaps from my last server. Reading helps a lot...

second, I forgot to switch off the Honesty and lost-and-found system. It did not feel as easy to revert this, more like pushing your beloved and untouched partner over the edge of the Great Canyon.
Why?
See for yourselves:

Oh the pain...
But well, I can cheat later. Today I chose to feel morally superior. I'll go corrupt some time later.

So stage 3 is on!
Also this time I spent more time in Despise, so to directly spend money on the premier and largest housing spot in Luna.
Plan is to setup a recall lumberjack next, do the quest to be able to enter Heartwood, collect runics there and then make some carpentry related stuff like Q staffs and that woodland armor. All hail the fat elf!

Gargl Kark

Post by Gargl Kark »

### NERD ALERT ###
As if UO wasn't nerdy enough, I made a little matterfull mind map on what this endeavour actually means.
So, in order to participate in the Heartwood beetle run, this is what you have to do if you as a person represent 100% of the population:

So be gratefull that people like MB shared their exploits to make this easier for all of us :)

Frasier

Post by Frasier »

Uuuh I try to scratch but it just gets worse... damn it!
Enough space on my hard drive hmmm......
Gargl Kark likes this.
Gargl Kark

Post by Gargl Kark »

the beginning is tiresome, but eventually it gets better.

Gargl Kark

Post by Gargl Kark »

Hey guys,

maybe one of you has the right idea about this: I've been trying to get MB's Heartwood script working on my shard, but I can't seem to make it.
I will try to document what I achieved so far. Please let me know if you can improve it one way or the other :)
  • All labels were prefixed, so that they don't get mixed up with the ones I use on Demise. Search and Replace does not work too well, because for example "Carpentry" is a skill, but is also the name of that skill. So worked through it in part manually.
  • I replaced all the serials and graphics - you can find the list attached. Mostly this was straight forward, at some points some extra care was necessary, f.e. when the quest dialogue on Demise was split in two gumps, while on servUO they have one gump.
  • When reading out text in gumps, UOS can read only one line at a time, so I adjusted that accordingly.
Here's what I learned:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

So now I have no idea how to continue.
Things to try would be to adjust clicking speed (on my local machine ping is high, so maybe it tries gumps that are not there and then breaks), or MB's timers to check carp need to be reworked? No idea.

Hope to hear your thoughts :)

Best,

GK

The Silvertiger

Post by The Silvertiger »

Gargl Kark wrote: March 21st, 2020, 6:32 am Hey guys,

maybe one of you has the right idea about this: I've been trying to get MB's Heartwood script working on my shard, but I can't seem to make it.
I will try to document what I achieved so far. Please let me know if you can improve it one way or the other :)
  • All labels were prefixed, so that they don't get mixed up with the ones I use on Demise. Search and Replace does not work too well, because for example "Carpentry" is a skill, but is also the name of that skill. So worked through it in part manually.
  • I replaced all the serials and graphics - you can find the list attached. Mostly this was straight forward, at some points some extra care was necessary, f.e. when the quest dialogue on Demise was split in two gumps, while on servUO they have one gump.
  • When reading out text in gumps, UOS can read only one line at a time, so I adjusted that accordingly.
Here's what I learned:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

So now I have no idea how to continue.
Things to try would be to adjust clicking speed (on my local machine ping is high, so maybe it tries gumps that are not there and then breaks), or MB's timers to check carp need to be reworked? No idea.

Hope to hear your thoughts :)

Best,

GK
Did you ever get this working? I might have been on hiatus at that time.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Gargl Kark

Post by Gargl Kark »

The Silvertiger wrote: October 17th, 2020, 8:00 pm Did you ever get this working? I might have been on hiatus at that time.
"almost".
Last status was that all the IDs were correct, and the recalling worked. For some reason it stalled when running back and forth.
And as we currently are all in H-town, there will be no progress soon :)