Looking for a new UO home, this place looks nice so far...

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
Madrygal

Re: Looking for a new UO home, this place looks nice so far...

Post by Madrygal »

Hey folks, finally set up to play. Just a few questions about getting the resolution set up properly (bigger than 800x600). I checked the FAQ but didn't see much there pertaining to razor options and set up. Anyone have any advice?
Made In Quebec

Post by Made In Quebec »

Razor and UOSteam are your friends.

Look carefully and you will find the option to resize the game window.

You might need to log out and log back in for them to take effect.
Madrygal

Post by Madrygal »

Is there a preferred assist tool people use here? I'm more familiar with Razor from a few years back (but not overly familiar by any means).
april0395

Post by april0395 »

Madrygal wrote:Is there a preferred assist tool people use here? I'm more familiar with Razor from a few years back (but not overly familiar by any means).
An overwhelming majority of the useful macros posted to these forums are for UOSteam. I'd recommend UOSteam, as most people use it and might be able to help you troubleshoot issues.

If you're used to Razor and can make your own macros work well, then Razor can get the job done.
Made In Quebec wrote:Some people's pleasure are sticking vegetables up their asses. While it's not my personal cup of tea, they can do as they please, since it's their asshole's and not mine, and I will not judge them.
LUDENS

Post by LUDENS »

Welcome!
Discord - Dante#3037

Covering the world in cable didn't bring an end to war and suffering, Don't act suprised when it all comes apart if you try to do it again.

KojPro YouTube

Rauch

Post by Rauch »

Demise is a great shard. Alot if options with characters, alot of nice people, alot of pvpers. I hope you decide to stay and play here. Hit me up if you need any noob stuff to get you started. Im not rich by far, but i hopefully can help with something!
Rauch, Miryn, Kiryn, Duke the Don, UL, Bigpusher, Miss Tegan
:stick: :beathorse: :popcorn:
Madrygal

Post by Madrygal »

Thanks everyone for the welcoming messages.

I have only made one character so far, and haven't done much with it yet. Been trying to figure out which assist tool I like most - but ran into issues where using UOSteam was causing disconnects within 1-2 minutes of playing, so I switched back to razor for the time being.

Hopefully I'll get some more time this weekend to devote to the game I love most.
Madrygal

Post by Madrygal »

Hey folks, I am back!

Had some computer troubles and lost my account info for my first account, going to try to locate that info, but have since made a new account and created a mage. The guides here all seem to reflect a hefty knowledge of the current state of this server/shard, and I am not exactly sure where to get started so I can make the money I need to get the gear I will require for the different builds I would like to play.

But what is that first character? I would much prefer having fewer characters than many, and getting going soon would be nice - but what is my best bet for starting out? Necro Mage Tamer? Bard? Melee? My old playstyle favored melee characters, there is something so fun about smashing titans and other big bads by standing toe to toe with them. I do enjoy magic as well, so I am not voting that option out, just trying to give you some background.

Sampire sounds great, but I have read the warnings of starting a sampire as a first character. That being said, is it worth starting a new character down the line with the intent of creating a sampire? Or is it manageable to take a melee character and turn that character INTO a sampire?

Obviously I am a newb here, so I seek any and all advice. Thanks again!
Ajani

Post by Ajani »

Necro Mage Tamer with spellweaving
Made In Quebec wrote:Some people's pleasure are sticking vegetables up their asses. While it's not my personal cup of tea, they can do as they please, since it's their asshole's.

I find this quite entertaining.
Casting is shit
Made In Quebec

Post by Made In Quebec »

My first character was just a necro mage with spellweaving, without taming because I hate training taming.

I never regretted my decision, ridiculusly easy and fast to train, quite efficient you can really hunt a large variety of mobs with that template.

I spent my first months killing one white wyrm, and from there I let the animate dead do the job, as on Skeletal dragon can kill 2 or 3 white wyrm before passing out.
Madrygal

Post by Madrygal »

Interesting. I've worked on a tamer before and found taming to be a real pain to train as well. I'm not even really sure about Doom and spawns yet (really not familiar with them) so I am not too concerned about being ready for what I assume is "end game" content. As long as I can kill some stuff, make some gold, and have fun, I will be happy.
Madrygal

Post by Madrygal »

I should probably also note, I am mainly a PvM guy. I think my PvP days are mostly behind me.
Made In Quebec

Post by Made In Quebec »

Even with my necro mage I never had issue playing in Doom, Champs, Peerless.

Certainly, solo'ing them would be quite a challenge, but if you manage to get yourself a small party, then nothing is out of reach and you can definately play in all those areas.

Some people will argue that it's not "best" which I would agree. You won't have top damage output, you won't be the most efficient in any of those facet, but you will be viable, all around, and adaptable.
Madrygal

Post by Madrygal »

Thanks a lot for the input, MIQ!