TC Update March 12, 2020 - Casting Changes

All discussion regarding the Demise Test Center shard.
Post Reply
User avatar
Eos
Demise Administrator
Posts: 318

TC Update March 12, 2020 - Casting Changes

Post by Eos » March 13th, 2020, 3:47 am

The following changes have been made to the Test Center:
  • The Test Center has been updated to the latest Demise codebase.
  • A crystal portal and corrupted crystal portal have been placed in the TC item room for easy teleportation to banks and dungeons.
  • A conjurer's garb has been added to the TC item room.

We will also be testing the following upcoming change intended for the main server:
  • The OSI/Felucca overcasting delay (period after a completed spell cast in which a new spell cast will silently fizzle) has been reduced from 250ms to 150ms. This will make casting spells in succession faster, and gives FCR 6 a benefit again over FCR 5.
  • OSI/Felucca casting, in its new form, now applies to all facets.
  • The "OSI Casting" dueling option has been removed and replaced with a "Classic Casting" option to optionally enable the classic Demise casting in duels.

Please feel free to evaluate the upcoming changes and post your thoughts/comments below.
Eos
UOGDemise - Administrator

Please do not PM me for general support.
If you are experiencing game issues please page for a staff member in-game.

Thank you for your continued support of UOG: Demise.

Mr Nobody
Posts: 109

Re: TC Update March 12, 2020 - Casting Changes

Post by Mr Nobody » March 14th, 2020, 4:45 pm

eos why did you change it to 4/6 then 2/5 now 2/6 again i guess you like people leaving in droves just leave it 2/6 and stop ffs

User avatar
Eos
Demise Administrator
Posts: 318

Re: TC Update March 12, 2020 - Casting Changes

Post by Eos » March 14th, 2020, 10:54 pm

Mr Nobody wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 4:45 pm
eos why did you change it to 4/6 then 2/5 now 2/6 again i guess you like people leaving in droves just leave it 2/6 and stop ffs
We are hoping to get to a point where we don't need to change it anymore, we are fully in agreement in that regard. :) This is why we brought back the Test Center and are testing the change on there, instead of tinkering with the main server.

The reason we are revisiting casting at all is because we feel like the current casting differences between Felucca and Trammel facets is causing a fragmentation of players, making the incentive to play in Felucca even lower than before. Going back to the same casting mechanics for all facets is therefore, to us, a requirement.

We also feel that the OSI mechanics are a little too aggressive to implement in all facets. Much like OSI's object delay of 1 second but Demise using half a second, we should allow ourselves some room for improvement in the interest of playability. To make it more appealing to everyone, we decided to relax the overcasting delay in this proposed change. This will hopefully result in a good compromise between classic and current casting, and encourage players that are now avoiding Felucca to play there again.

Anyone who disagrees is, of course, free (and encouraged) to express their views so that we may come to a better solution while it's still on the Test Center.
Eos
UOGDemise - Administrator

Please do not PM me for general support.
If you are experiencing game issues please page for a staff member in-game.

Thank you for your continued support of UOG: Demise.

User avatar
Bama
Bug Hunter
Posts: 4074

Re: TC Update March 12, 2020 - Casting Changes

Post by Bama » March 15th, 2020, 12:03 am

Eos wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 10:54 pm


We are hoping to get to a point where we don't need to change it anymore, we are fully in agreement in that regard. :) This is why we brought back the Test Center and are testing the change on there, instead of tinkering with the main server.

The reason we are revisiting casting at all is because we feel like the current casting differences between Felucca and Trammel facets is causing a fragmentation of players, making the incentive to play in Felucca even lower than before. Going back to the same casting mechanics for all facets is therefore, to us, a requirement.

We also feel that the OSI mechanics are a little too aggressive to implement in all facets. Much like OSI's object delay of 1 second but Demise using half a second, we should allow ourselves some room for improvement in the interest of playability. To make it more appealing to everyone, we decided to relax the overcasting delay in this proposed change. This will hopefully result in a good compromise between classic and current casting, and encourage players that are now avoiding Felucca to play there again.

Anyone who disagrees is, of course, free (and encouraged) to express their views so that we may come to a better solution while it's still on the Test Center.
Were banjos playing when this was being discussed? I ask because of previous changes made took a long time to be implemented while banjo music was being played.

I believe you should get it closer to OSI casting then any other casting. Any other casting is just freaking wrong. And if nothing else these players screaming they are bored will have all new content with the new casting.

I must LOL at the thought that the population went down 200 players because of casting. Sure casting is ONE reason but there are others.

We are in mid March maybe not having an update since September has a part as well to play in the dwindling population.

The bug report section is collecting dust at an alarming rate. My boy has found many more problems but no longer cares. The boy has been waiting for (many fixes) a fix to the discordance skill putting him in a cool down when the skill wasn’t even used. The Admins silence is deafening

Let us not forget the VPN thing and while we are here nice silent fix. That must have added to the lower population a little right?

Felucca is dead but it’s not casting alone that caused it

Best of luck with the casting testing.
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

User avatar
Bad Religion
Posts: 2595

Re: TC Update March 12, 2020 - Casting Changes

Post by Bad Religion » March 15th, 2020, 5:59 pm

thanks for trying eos.
Image

User avatar
The Silvertiger
Bug Tester
Posts: 4372

Re: TC Update March 12, 2020 - Casting Changes

Post by The Silvertiger » March 17th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Hi! It is good to see you back!

The complaint has always been that it's not accurate, so I would say make it accurate. Those that say if you want osi mechanics play osi didn't actually come to demise looking for non-osi mechanics. Therefore, I say make it accurate.

Either way, I will not be coming back, sorry. It's not you... It's me... I hope everyone enjoys their quarantine time.

PS\Edit: Please unban Josh for the hundredth time. He just let's his keyboard off the chain sometimes like I have done in the past. Glad to see Forseti is now the holder of the server ( ;) ). I hope you make good decisions and Ryan doesn't sue you. Have a wonderful day and see you in a few months maybe.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
.


desalonne
Posts: 439

Re: TC Update March 12, 2020 - Casting Changes

Post by desalonne » March 18th, 2020, 4:22 am

Eos wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 10:54 pm
Mr Nobody wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 4:45 pm
eos why did you change it to 4/6 then 2/5 now 2/6 again i guess you like people leaving in droves just leave it 2/6 and stop ffs
We are hoping to get to a point where we don't need to change it anymore, we are fully in agreement in that regard. :) This is why we brought back the Test Center and are testing the change on there, instead of tinkering with the main server.

The reason we are revisiting casting at all is because we feel like the current casting differences between Felucca and Trammel facets is causing a fragmentation of players, making the incentive to play in Felucca even lower than before. Going back to the same casting mechanics for all facets is therefore, to us, a requirement.

We also feel that the OSI mechanics are a little too aggressive to implement in all facets. Much like OSI's object delay of 1 second but Demise using half a second, we should allow ourselves some room for improvement in the interest of playability. To make it more appealing to everyone, we decided to relax the overcasting delay in this proposed change. This will hopefully result in a good compromise between classic and current casting, and encourage players that are now avoiding Felucca to play there again.

Anyone who disagrees is, of course, free (and encouraged) to express their views so that we may come to a better solution while it's still on the Test Center.
I dont know how to make this anymore clear.....so i am going to be as blunt as possible for you......the need for OSI casting is not simply to make casting "accurate" its to stop the pvp from being "hold this ma/fb/harm script button down". The need to break pvp scripts is 100% the need for OSI casting......the fact that you have stated you want to find a comfortable medium between old casting (aka hold 1 button pvp) and accurate casting and saying that it will be an "Improvement" is just a cop out. The issue with demise IN ALL FACETS remains the same issue were speaking about here.......scripts....the fact that demise has allowed AND CONTINUES to allow people running scripts 24/7 is the LARGEST reason no one wants to log in and play.....and thats not even counting the people *cough cough* former gms *cough cough* who run VPN accounts to contribute to the inflated economy and vast amount of people scripting.....

The ONLY way to improve the activity on your server...is to ACTUALLY fix the problem....which is to fix casting to break the pvp scripts that are currently dominating pvp.....and to enforce the account limit and afking punishments/bans.....the fact that those are not being dealt with and are not only allowed to continue but ENCOURAGED with comments like "finding a middle ground between classic and OSI casting" is why you have yet to improve the quality of the server or the quantity of players here.

User avatar
Eos
Demise Administrator
Posts: 318

Re: TC Update March 12, 2020 - Casting Changes

Post by Eos » March 18th, 2020, 10:48 am

desalonne wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 4:22 am
which is to fix casting to break the pvp scripts that are currently dominating pvp.....
On the main server, "full-blown" OSI casting (with 250ms overcasting delay) is already in effect in all of Felucca since April 2019. Is it not effective?
Eos
UOGDemise - Administrator

Please do not PM me for general support.
If you are experiencing game issues please page for a staff member in-game.

Thank you for your continued support of UOG: Demise.

Maloskies
Posts: 1413

Re: TC Update March 12, 2020 - Casting Changes

Post by Maloskies » March 19th, 2020, 5:38 am

Eos wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 10:48 am
desalonne wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 4:22 am
which is to fix casting to break the pvp scripts that are currently dominating pvp.....
On the main server, "full-blown" OSI casting (with 250ms overcasting delay) is already in effect in all of Felucca since April 2019. Is it not effective?
It is for sure effective.

I think the general consensus with the current mechanics needing to be adjusted.
The time it takes to cast a spell is slightly slower than osi.
The delay for damage on spells such as magic arrow is too fast compared to osi.
The reward for holding spells and being able to cast faster if you hold a spell and cast is not on demise.

If anyone wants to chime in if you don't think this is correct.
Discord: Maloskies#2094

User avatar
TwoAndaHalfMen
Posts: 11

Re: TC Update March 12, 2020 - Casting Changes

Post by TwoAndaHalfMen » March 19th, 2020, 12:09 pm

Just tried using the crystal portal and corrupted crystal portal in TC room, it does not seem to work.

Post Reply