Good Movies

Off-topic general discussion, for everything else.
Facko

Re: Good Movies

Post by Facko »

Lol
ultio mea est
Calvin likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

lol it woulda been cool to get his actually review on this new one tbh
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

i like it :S
dont know what all the fuss is about, only a few eps in, but seems pretty good so far.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Calvin wrote: November 20th, 2021, 1:44 pm dont know what all the fuss is about
okay i kinda get the issue, but meh, it's still an entertaining show, just it's not as good as the anime... it has it's own kinda take on things.

it gets more right than it gets wrong. just it doesn't get everything right.

it's too short is the biggest problem, not enough episodes. doesn't have enough time to build up that crew normality to then break at the end..
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

i'll tell ya what it reminds me of actually... does anyone know there's a shed load of fan-made star-trek series?

i only ever started watching one of them cos i was like 'wow this is pretty professionally produced'
only got a couple of eps in, i never liked the original series tbh, but still impressive for a fan made thing:

bebop sorta feels like that, a fan-made show, but a good fan-made show.

fake spok and kirk are obviously not shattner and nemoy.. but they play em pretty well. same in bebop with spike and jet.
the models and graphics are spot on.
the settings are pretty good tho a bit limited.
they did massively change the female characters... which is a weird one.. cos there is a lot of female characters in bebop that sorta subvert expectations.. like the heavy metal trucker woman. thing is, original bebop has a very sort of 50s noir element to it.. or even earlier, like 1920s america even - the days of al capone and stuff. while they have the 'odd' women, the backdrop/main view of women, is a traditional one. so you have like julia, who is the very typical woman on a pedistal, marylin monroe type character.. then you have like faye, who's the sorta femme fatale.. they are both kinda replaced by the same strong wamen trope that dont need no man.. so.. hmm

i mean faye was, but not in the same way.. she was one of these, using her femininity as a weapon, types. where these women dont seem to understand what femininity is.. so i dunno... there aren't really any stakes either.. like, the gunshot wounds might as well be bruises, and main characters never really feel like they're actually gonna die.... there is issues, admittedly, but as i say, they did more right than they did wrong, and it's an entertaining watch. the female characters are different, not overly likable, but at least they're consistant and make sense.

women seem very angry about sex, being sexualized, etc these days.. it has that. which does kinda.. for lack of a better term; kick the entire storline in the nuts - that's the issue.

but a big chunk of it is exactly what it should be ... just another big chunk of it is completely different.. and... not really very good.
i still wouldn't burn the whole thing though.

it's a weird thing actually.. cos bebop is a very soulful anime, and the sorta twitter feminist is kinda soul-less.. very narcessistic, which should fit faye. but it doesn't.. cos she's actually a very deep person that's just shallow on the surface.. she's supposed to be taking advantage of people liking her all the time, and yet in this she's totally unlikable :/
she's actually a lot more childish... hmm. does kinda make sense given the story though.. it's a different take, all i can say. but it doesn't really fit the rest of the story.. but then they change the rest of the story to fit it.. so... hmm

jet and spike with the bebop ship is the important part really, frankly im happy to see them go on adventures in an interesting, stylized universe.
it's not gonna have the anime's arc, of them becoming like accidental house-mates, then becoming like a dysfunctional family, then breaking apart and going back to their past lives. which really is kinda the essence of bebop.. but it still has nice characters and a nice setting, to write nice stories in, so im happy to see what they do with it.

it's a 6 or 7 out of 10, they've changed a lot, but they could still make some good stuff with what they have. just dont expect the anime - it's far more a fan fiction.
Facko

Post by Facko »

Only a few episodes in myself and it just seems to me like they couldn't figure out how to make jet interesting so they replaced his personality with, "I have a daughter."

Unless you're a fan of the anime there isn't much here to keep you watching imo. It just isn't that interesting on its own. The anime was interesting... meh.
ultio mea est
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

just found out they're rebooting babylon 5...
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Facko wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 3:18 am Only a few episodes in myself and it just seems to me like they couldn't figure out how to make jet interesting so they replaced his personality with, "I have a daughter."

Unless you're a fan of the anime there isn't much here to keep you watching imo. It just isn't that interesting on its own. The anime was interesting... meh.
for some reason they made jet into the black guy from The Boys :S

yeah it's a new element, but i dont think it detracts from jet's character. i wish his bonsai's were a bit more impressive though... other than that, i think jet and spike are played pretty well.

i suppose jet's baby is kinda the ship in the original series, but to be fair he was a lil bland as a character. doesn't matter so much what his 'responsibility' is imo.. as long as he has one and is the responsible member of the group.

i like the sci-fi elements, and the inter-personal relationships - like with jet and spike. but they have had to take away a lot of the noir elements cos they had to accommodate the changed female characters. but you have to remember, it's not only from the late 90s / early 2000s, it's also japanese, and it's based on the 1920s - so compare all that to the western women of 2021..

frankly im glad they changed it to fit.
but no, it's not as good. no-where near, the original series is an art piece.. this is a flash in the pan - but a decent one imo. it's more an homage than a remake. i dont think it's terrible, i just dont think it's as good.
Facko

Post by Facko »

Posted this a while back. Maybe I should have put up a video.
ultio mea est
Facko

Post by Facko »

Calvin wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 3:39 am just found out they're rebooting babylon 5...
With JMS at the helm. Hopefully it won't be crap. Bruce boxleitner had a goofy kind of charm that really made his character work. Andreas katsulas and Peter jurasik (g'kar and Lando) will be hard to replace too.
ultio mea est
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

i dunno man, people can change as they get older... but maybe, will have to see.

i dont have high hopes for it tho.. sry i missed that link first time you posted it
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

i've thought of a good way to put it:

netflix's bebop is basically a 90% show. but in a genre where the max you can get is 70%.
it is one of the best of the genre, but the genre is like OG Mortal Kombat, Stallone's Judge Dredd, Jolie's Tomb Raider, Lungren's Masters of the Universe, Hoskins Super Mario Bros, pre-reboot Batman films, etc..
it's in that genre, but it is one of the best of that genre... and the changes fit what it is.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

masters of the universe part 2 is out if anyone can be bothered with it. im not even gonna download it.

new Dexter isn't bad. starts a bit slow on the first ep:

also new Witcher series coming out:

i think south park might actually get better soon as well.. judging by the ending of the post pandemic special

also gonna recommend What We Do In The Shadows.. a lot to explain about it...

basically.. it's a mockumentary, so a comedy documentary - think office, but about vampires. it's made by Taika Waititi, who is the director of Thor Ragnarok and Jojo Rabbit - but he made this before he was famous. originally it was a film that he also starred in, but this is a series made after Thor Ragnarok... starts a bit slow again, but once you get into the characters it's great.
Facko likes this.
Facko

Post by Facko »

Bebop canceled already? Who'd have thought? Especially with the main actress attacking fans so relentlessly... never saw it coming.

Seriously, kinda feel about this one the way Calvin did about the watchmen series. Mediocrity is not ok. I'd rather it was comically bad. More fun that way.

South Park kinda hit a little close to home. 20+ years later and still in the plandemic. Funny moments here and there but it made me kinda mad. Largely based own personal experience. I've had the state health department tell me I was a prisoner in my own home over covid. It's not that much of an extreme anymore... it's not satire... it's actually happening in places around the world. Ugh...

New dexter is getting more interesting. Hope it avoids the soapiness of the last few seasons of the original.
ultio mea est