Good Movies

Off-topic general discussion, for everything else.
Calvin

Re: Good Movies

Post by Calvin »

anyone started watching this yet?

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

*randomly scrolls to comments*

Cal Hackit
1 year ago
nailed him with force powers. epic.

^funny guy :lol:
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Calvin wrote: May 27th, 2022, 5:14 am

lol some good ones in this season, season 2 was kinda crappy
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

good copies of these out:

looks like this has wrapped up, tis meh

not terrible:

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

dunno if it's the lack of JK rowling on the series now, or me getting older; but tryin to watch fantastic beasts and it's like, painfully bad.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

fantastic beasts is meh, ironically it's got decent action scenes. but it's got very little in the way of depth, and the broke back mountain scenes are just.. out of place.
plot devices are kinda just pulled outa thin air, and make very little sense.. it's sloppy writing.

natalie portman thor is real -_-'

have known about it for a long time, but i think some part of me thought it was a piss take joke...

i did warn yas that marvel was gonna be fkin mutilated after Endgame and they moved jon fav to starwars instead.
like did anyone notice marvel was completely untouched by the woke stuff?

thor stayed thor, tony stayed tony, etc. all true to the comics - imo because they were like 75% through their run, and no-one wanted to mess it up. they put in that girl power bit, but that was all. but since it finished it's run.. ye gods, it's like:

meanwhile the endgame crew are trying to bring starwars back from the drained out husk they left it as.

lol @ the thor 4 thumbnail - i see what ya did there.

honestly cannot be assed watching another Viking thing (@northmen).. stranger things season 4 is alright, but the reviews are accurate, it's same old stuff really, not unwelcome, but nothing new - pretty forgettable beyond the first season really.

so.. nick cage is the most appealing thing to watch lol, what is the world coming to?
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

no good copy out, but this is doing well at the box office:

looks fairly good actually.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

dun dun duuun

verdicts about 10 mins away

... or maybe not.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Stranger things season 4 is actually pretty good so far!
beats seasons 2 and 3 me thinks.

"Hatch said that music can reach parts of the brain that words can't. So maybe that's the key, a lifeline. A lifeline back to reality. It's worth a shot."

*mild spoilers*

it is a spoiler, but it's from episode 4 of 9, so you'll live.

seems to have gone a bit.. metaphorical?
i suppose it makes sense given the kids are now angsty teens.
to me this is really about like, past trauma, and how that effects people going forward and growing up.
basically kinda if they self destruct or grow from it.

i think season 1 was solid concept and retro nostalgia.
season 2 was kinda them trying to expand the world, bring in more characters, etc. - was a flop, stay in your lane. you are not a super hero ensamble show.
season 3 was... not very memorable lol... err.. ye ye, season 2 is the lab, season 3 is the mall.
i suppose they're finding their feet a bit.. xfiles vibes with the russian connection, but generally it's a 'fun' season. but the russian connection lets them bring in like a nazi occult vibe, or x-files tenguska vibe, that kinda thing. but over-all, quite shallow.
season 4.. now, hmm. this seems much less about the monster and more about the characters psychology - and this is where occult and symbolism, actually shines. only 4 eps in like, but yeah, i get it, and it's on a good track here.

it's always had good style, but lacked depth. this is like, the writers have leveled up.
they're tying stuff together, so it's not paper thin anymore, that's a very clever thing to do, because they're tapping into like.. other art, if ya get me. like you tie it to human psychology, and that's the trunk of the tree kinda thing, you can then bring in other elements of other things - like meaningful music, or settings that aren't just aesthetically appealing, but are thought/emotion provoking. im actually impressed.

all they had to do really, was humanize the characters - give them depth, rather than just being caricatures.
then you can empathise with them, and the whole story becomes much more... real? even in a fantasy setting.
because regardless of the setting, the relative psychology *is* real. once they've got that, they're out of kitch, and into art :3
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

"Since the fourth season is the longest-running season produced so far, the Duffers and Netflix opted for a two-volume release plan. In a letter from the Duffer Brothers posted by Netflix, the duo revealed they wrote over 800 pages of dialogue and action across the season's nine scripts, and that the fourth season is nearly double the length of any of the previously released seasons.[12]

In an interview on the Netflix podcast Present Company With Krista Smith, Ross Duffer discussed season four's much more mature tone, which he indicated will be at least partially achieved by "[leaning] into" the horror genre:

When we pitched it to Netflix all those years ago, we pitched it as the kids are... The Goonies in E.T. That's their storyline. And the adults are in Jaws and Close Encounters [sic] and then the teens are in Nightmare on Elm Street or Halloween. But, this year, we don't have the kids. We can't do The Goonies anymore. And so, suddenly, we're leaning much harder into that horror movie territory that we love. It was fun to make that change.[27]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_ ... 4)#Writing

*nods*
level up.

ah gad damnit, it's another month until the last 2 eps are out -_-'

ya know what... i think i should watch some horror movies...
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

very similar to how to train your dragon - but youtube movie, free, easy ;P

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

:D
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Facko likes this.