Good Movies

Off-topic general discussion, for everything else.
Facko

Re: Good Movies

Post by Facko »

I love b5 but I know the drama behind it that comes with being a good sci fi show in America back then (or even now). Still can't sleep. They thought they were gonna be canceled after season 3 (earlier actually, with every season). They meant for the shadow war to go for the entire series. Thinking they were gonna get canned they wrapped their current arc up. I love the psi war stuff we got after. Pretty good for off the cuff. Actor disputes drove talia out and they wrote lita back in. Ironhearts gift was meant to be a lot more. They rewrote it as vorlon editing for lita because it just worked. There's a lot more than that I think. Just glad it ended mostly good. I don't know how I feel about the last episode and a million years later but it all works in the context of the show so I can't bitch outside of true nitpicks.
ultio mea est
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

i just watched the whole convention again :D
the sound goes off for the last 30 mins, which is kinda annoying, but nvm, still a really good video.

yeah you can really tell the last season is an added on extention series, but there's still a lot of decent stuff in there... i tried watching the rangers spin off but it was terrible.

Talia was a bad fit for the show tbh... im glad they brought Lita back instead, she was great in the pilot as well, i think she was having a baby or something when it started? dont know tbh.

the ironheart stuff was meh, but yeah you're right, they totally dumped the telekinesis side of things. they dumped a lot, i mean they changed the main character as well, from sinclaire to sheredon.

all the Talia stuff was terrible tho.. her character, ironheart, the lesbian thing with ivoniva.. so many bad threads. they removed and replaced her in a really dodgy way, but honestly im glad they did. she wasn't gritty enough for the setting..

but like, a lot of series do that, the entire of the first series of a show is really kind of a pilot series itself. the biggest one that springs to mind is Black Adder, cos they brought in Ben Elton to write for the second season+. red dwarf did it as well, totally changed the aesthetic of the show because it was all grey. you'll notice it in a lot of things, characters, sets, make up. it all changed from S1-S2, S2 is where they really plan it out cos they have proof of concept.

just noticed the bit on that convention where they give JMS the lifetime achievement award, and omg, he has worked on so much cool stuff.

you'll like Expanse if you've not seen that.
and if you want something good to go to sleep to - March of the Penguins lol
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

ya know what's sad.. when i was at uni, one of the guys that was in our dorm had like Jehovas Witness parents.. and one of their rules is they cant have none JW's under their roof. so when he said he didn't wanna be one, they actually kicked him out, at like 15 or 16...

but he was into B5, said it was one of the few things he and his dad could watch and enjoy together..

but the sad part.. is one day he got a package in the mail, that was all his dad's dvds and stuff of B5, because the 'community' had deemed it heretical, and he had to get rid of it all...

it's true that..
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

if anyone can find the episodes of this from 2008, would be very nice... kinda pissed off.. they made a kick starter in 2015, intending to make a film... took down the episodes it seems, then didn't make the film...

hmm they're on here:
http://www.siddan.net/en/media/flash/an ... ninja.html

this is kinda assuming you've seen these:

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

this the old skool shit.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

depending how much you're into anime.... you might want to watch these..

these are all the same company... they're experimental anime. basically they made Furi Kuri.. which is just... fantastic, it has no storyline at all. it's all about.. it's really hard to explain.. it has a feeling to it, it really captures something.

but then they made Magical Shopping Arcade, which has a bit more of a story, but is really a massive parody of Anime in general.

then they made Tengen Toppa... which i only got half way through, and if you've seen it you'll know why... i might have to watch it again and finish it......

pisses me off that they call it Fooly Cooly though.... Furi Kuri just means like, fucking about basically.. or Hanky Panky, technically.

but these guys are beyond masters of anime, they've gone into like theoretical, experimental animation :lol:

it's like this with the sword, it's done so subtly ^.^

it's genius parody. the company is awesome.

:D
tho was looking for the training montage.. cos i love the bit where he's like "your training is complete!" and the camera turns to him, and it's just Ken Shiro stood there :lol:
with like the 7 scars and everything ^.^
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

:lol:

the kung-fu one is probably the best parody one.
but each epp is a different anime style, like a mecha one, etc..

if you've not seen this, it's very old skool, but it's good. crazy ending.
try to get the version with drum and bass over the fight scenes :D

urgh, that dub... but yeah, ya dont wanna mess with Ken Shiro :lol:
"omae wa mou shindeiru" - it's sort of his catchphrase ^.^

clip from the series, not the OVA
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

go on then i'll put a couple up for the girls as well..

this is a romance:

this is a comedy:

and this is for weebs :P

anime is really not just 1 subject, it's a medium, like books or movies, there's animes of all types. just the ones that are translated are generally action ones for teens.

urgh, god.. it's all dubbed..... this one's not too bad either:

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

just looking for one that i cant remember the name of.. it's an all boys school basically, then because of funding issues, they have to fuse with an all girls school. it's kinda disturbing in parts :lol:
but it's funny... if i cant find it..

there's a lot i forgot about here, man, this takes me back ^.^

gotcha:

i really forgot how much anime i watched in my teens :S
so many shows popped up looking for this..
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

they're not my favourites by a long shot..

that would be like Trigun, Bebop, Kenshin, Full Metal Alchemist, Dragonball, Berzerk.. those sorts of ones.

then there's the weird ones like Paranoia Agent, Laine, Ergo Proxy, Paprika, Speed Grapher...

then old skool ones, like 3x3, Fist of the North Star, Tekkaman, Lupin, Patlabor..

Seven Deadly Sins is good for a new one... oh and One Punch Man.
there is soooooooo much anime.

oh god.. Bubblegum Crisis.. AD tank police... Gundam.. Slayers.. Ranma.. Voltron.. Macross.. Astroboy.. all of Ghibli.. There's like 8 Gundam series.. BlackJack.. Macross..

there really is so many.. i only ever watched 1 romance one, just to see what they were all about.. it was alright... i guess..

oh, NHK is funny ^.^

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Mock-u-mentry ^.^

then he made this:

and there's a second season of What We Do In The Shadows coming out:

it's Taika Waititi, who bizarrely also directed this:

which i actually think is one of the best marvel movies.
oh and he did JoJo Rabbit as well.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Calvin wrote: July 14th, 2020, 1:35 pm if anyone can find the episodes of this from 2008, would be very nice... kinda pissed off.. they made a kick starter in 2015, intending to make a film... took down the episodes it seems
i get why btw, they're made in flash, and flash kinda died cos IOS wouldn't support it.
plus HTML 5 can do most of what flash did for websites.
we actually had that problem, cos the graphics guy we worked with had mainly worked in flash.
kinda shocking to find IOS had no support for it, and no intention to add it either.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

ooooh i'll post in this vein soon.

stand by me.. basketball diaries... my girl... gonna get some food first.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Calvin

Post by Calvin »