Really?

Off-topic general discussion, for everything else.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Re: Really?

Post by Bama »

English is difficult …..

……but it could be understood though through tough thorough thought
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Calvin and kentares like this.
El Kabong

Post by El Kabong »

Bama wrote: February 8th, 2022, 6:38 pm English is difficult …..

……but it could be understood though through tough thorough thought

You couldn’t work in the word trough?
Calvin likes this.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Many men have told me that “ guys “ is a gender neutral term.

Fine, but why do they all get quiet when I ask them…………

………….so how many guys have you slept with?
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
kentares likes this.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

I always put a bonus question on tests

For the latest test I asked what is an old joke?

One student wrote this

Thou matriarch is so abundant in waist thy tailor must breed 2 score of sheep to have enough wool to cover her.
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Since this is still February and tomorrow is Presidents’ Day ……..

……… Thomas Jefferson was 44 when he began what many today refer to as a romance or affair with Sally Hemings.

Sally had no legal capacity to consent to such a relationship not only because she was enslaved, Jefferson's property, but also because she was 14-years-old.

Despite the whitewashed story, concocting a romantic relationship, Sally's story also serves as a marked example of the "One Drop Rule" (research "hypo-descent"),served to assign slave status to babies of enslaved women when assaulted and impregnated by the men who owned them.

Sally was 14 when Jefferson acquired her. Jefferson's own daughter Polly was 9-years-old at the time. Witnesses had described young Sally's relationship with Polly as one of both caretaker and playmate—a sort of sociopathic convenience for Jefferson.

Back to the One Drop Rule. By his own words, Sally's physical features were Jefferson's main attraction to her. Sally Hemings was 1/4 Black.
To be clear, it was her proximity to whiteness, yet his retained ability to own and order her movement that attracted Jefferson to her.

At 16, Sally (who was 1/2-sister of Jefferson's late wife, WTF) became pregnant as the predictable result of Thomas Jefferson's ongoing sexual abuse.
Sally bore 6 of Jefferson's biological children, that we know of, all of whom were seven-eighths (7/8) white.

Guests had recounted the children's uncanny resemblance to Jefferson, even as the girls passed busily from kitchen to dining room, serving the guests dinner as part of the enslaved house staff.

"One Drop" of Black blood was all that was necessary for "Black"-ness to be attached

Legally, this rule formally dictated newborns with any degree of ancestry "mixing" were assigned slave status.
This not only gave slaveowners license to abuse the women they owned without fear of inheritance challenge, but allowed them to produce more humans to enslave.

Isn’t it great when they can tie up any and all loose ends.

My History professor said
"History may be a story for those who want fairy tales but I'm here to tell you it's not, our history is brutal..pay attention."
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

This is palindrome week. Every date this week reads the same forward and backward:

2/20/22
2/21/22
2/22/22
2/23/22
2/24/22
2/25/22
2/26/22
2/27/22
2/28/22
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
kentares and Calvin like this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Bama wrote: February 20th, 2022, 7:40 pm Since this is still February and tomorrow is Presidents’ Day ……..
Thomas Jefferson was 44 when he began what many today refer to as a romance or affair with Sally Hemings

"History may be a story for those who want fairy tales but I'm here to tell you it's not, our history is brutal..pay attention."
fair enough. but.

what was the alternative?

surprise surprise... history wasn't generally populated with princes and princesses. like i know all the stories focus on them... but life was incredibly shit for like 99.9999% of people.

by modern fairtale standards, yeah, living in the stately home and having serving jobs is terrible. but compare it to working in the field and living in the slave huts.

Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Here Calvin
Remember?
You remember

Whatever98.jpg
Whatever98.jpg (8.96 KiB) Viewed 14063 times
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Calvin likes this.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Calvin wrote: February 25th, 2022, 3:30 pm
That's the King

How do you know?

He doesn't have shit on him

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHA
Such a good movie!

John Cleese in Fawlty Towers was great.
I think that sitcom is probably one of the best ever done and its like 40-50 years old
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Calvin likes this.
Facko

Post by Facko »

MLK wasn't any better... maybe it was revenge for Jefferson?

Tell your history guy to be even handed... everyone is shitty...

I really try to be nice but I'm tired of hearing how sick white america is and just putting up with it... I'm south american and I think I love the land of the free more than you do...
ultio mea est
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Facko wrote: February 26th, 2022, 7:44 am MLK wasn't any better... maybe it was revenge for Jefferson?
Facko wrote: February 26th, 2022, 7:44 am

Tell your history guy to be even handed... everyone is shitty...

I really try to be nice but I'm tired of hearing how sick white america is and just putting up with it... I'm south american and I think I love the land of the free more than you do...

I think I love the land of the free more than you do...
Think more…………

……….I’ll say it for you so you don’t have to

“ drinking blah blah blah drunk blah blah blah “
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

ya shouldn't just dismiss people out of hand..

i dunno about a darker side to MLK tbh.. but there is a lot of cases where this is true; like ghandi, mother teresa, nelson mandella, etc.

i doubt MLK was one tbh tho cos he was a reverend and stuff.. but mother teresa used to tell dying people they couldn't go to hospital because it was gods will if they died.. ghandi was involved in a lot of the massacres that went on between the hindu and musims. mandella bombed people i think?

there are good people as well.. but they're often only recognized posthumously. tesla for example.

modern left doesn't agree with MLK at all though you know? they agree with malcolm x in his early days.
- it's the difference between "we're all the same", and; "we're all different but equally equivalent"

this is what cultual relativism is, and by extension post-modernism.

the question is: are these other cultures simply a few 100 years behind the west? or have they just developed along different but equally equivalent lines.

think of it in terms of food: "our roast dinner, is superior to your chicken madras."
but not because it is made by superior people, but because it is cooked with more modern appliances etc, or from a more developed culture.
this is not necessarily correct see. that's where the cultural relativism comes from.
then by the same logic - modernism - the belief that we just need to like for example: bring refrigeration to china, so they dont have to use wet markets to keep their food fresh. which is also imperialism - lets bring everyone into the modern world.

see how it works?

the problem with cultural relativism and post-modernism, is you cant say anything is better than anything else. so you cant actually build *anything*. cos like, having stuff built is not necessarily better than not having stuff built - it's just relative. see? fucked innit :P lol

having the plague is not necessarily better than not having the plague! \o/

one of my fav techniques of argument is one called "reducto ad absurdem" - "reduction to the absurd".
so basically you extend the same logic out to it's extremes and see if it gets ridiculous.
i dont see how that would happen with MLK's stuff tho.

i suppose you could say that everyone would mix, then the system would break down because everyone'd just be a sorta tanned colour?
is that absurd? hmm

see im looking at this, and im like.. ultimately, one side wants the tanned future, other side wants segregation and the races more clearly defined... so like... who's racist??

then i dunno why the fk BLM and like the KKK are fighting, cos they want the same thing?
it doesn't matter which side you are on in that, they are both arguing for the same reality.
the sides are completely arbitrary.

the way i look at it, is im not saying do mix, im not saying dont. im just saying, race should not be a factor in deciding if you mix.
if you like them, then you like them, if you dont, then you dont. but dont like OR dislike them BECAUSE of their race.

you judge people on the content of their character. MLK never said "like everybody"..
you're still allowed to have an opinion, and your own personality.
honestly, this side of the argument, has a very, very strong, and deep base in liberalism, and individualism. one might call it, based ;P
Bama likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Choose! Your! Midget! xD
Bama wrote: February 25th, 2022, 10:44 pm Here Calvin
Remember?
You remember

Whatever98.jpg
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

oh.. and the whole idea that people are just evil, and want to enslave and steal stuff, and *that* is why they did colonization etc.. is just laughable. we're a christian country ffs.

... ... i mean maybe the spanish (lol) ;P

but honestly for us, most of it was just we wanted to get into heaven, and so part of that was 'improving' people's lives.. whether they like it or not... gotta remember it's also a very parent-y religion... children dont necessarily like what's good for them..

there is a feeling of superiority yes, but it's not racial.. i mean it's hard to not have a feeling of superiority when you're sat in an aircraft carrier, and they're sat in a canoo...
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

i dont believe in bad people.. i believe in bad choices, and weak people.
i dont blame em for it.

everybody has moments of weakness after all.
Bama likes this.