PVP Duels/tournaments/events suggestion

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
Bad Religion

PVP Duels/tournaments/events suggestion

Post by Bad Religion »

Every couple of weeks or so a staff member will randomly start a pvp event. Even though there are no rewards, A LOT of people generally show up to them. The maps are really cool and they are always a ton of fun.

Other servers I have played on will run these events daily with some of them (like 1v1s and ctfs) happening at least twice a day. They are generally on timers so staff doesn't have to be on to run them. I'm not sure how difficult automating these would be on demise, but I think having these kind of events going daily are great for a server and can help gateway new players into pvping.

My second proposition is in regards to rewards for these events, but only for larger ones every month or so or an aggregated point system. I personally dont require a reward to show up, as the events themselves are usually fun enough, but perhaps others would be enticed by them.

Thanks

TLDR: automated pvp events daily, better and more rewards via a point system perhaps
Ajani

Re: PVP Duels/tournaments/events suggestion

Post by Ajani »

they do have ones with goodish rewards for like Halloween,Christmas,Easter,Summer Fesrival,etc
Made In Quebec wrote:Some people's pleasure are sticking vegetables up their asses. While it's not my personal cup of tea, they can do as they please, since it's their asshole's.

I find this quite entertaining.
Casting is shit
Loler

Post by Loler »

I think a 1v1 event standard rules that keeps track of first place finishs.and total points. 1 point per round you win. 1 for round 1 2 for round 2. So if theres 3 rounds you get 6 points if you win tourney plus 1 win added to your total. Have it set for 1 tourney every 3-8 hours randomly and give a server message.
PM me or contact me on discord mortoburger#5040
Buying List
Selling List
Trading Brsk for Arties
My vendor in Luna
Buying Tailor/Smith resets in bulk.
Reefer

Post by Reefer »

let's do it!
Bad Religion likes this.
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

Loler wrote:I think a 1v1 event standard rules that keeps track of first place finishs.and total points. 1 point per round you win. 1 for round 1 2 for round 2. So if theres 3 rounds you get 6 points if you win tourney plus 1 win added to your total. Have it set for 1 tourney every 3-8 hours randomly and give a server message.
Yeah exactly
Maloskies

Post by Maloskies »

u so smart epi
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
The Silvertiger

Post by The Silvertiger »

There's actually already a points system in place. There's a leadersboard at the elevated wooden event arena with 4 duel pits. It would just need tweaking and the addition of rewards. I wouldn't be opposed to those who have already acquired points be given rewards for those points(I hope you still have those characters reefer, pumpkin, dwn, etc.)
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
EV

Post by EV »

i didnt get any points?! *slaps with leather glove* i challenge you to a duel sir!

*for points*
If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit. ~ unknown.

Discord: EV#6151
EV

Post by EV »

If you can't blow them away with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit. ~ unknown.

Discord: EV#6151
Zat

Post by Zat »

Bad Religion wrote:Every couple of weeks or so a staff member will randomly start a pvp event. Even though there are no rewards, A LOT of people generally show up to them. The maps are really cool and they are always a ton of fun.
Speaking from a previous staff position from at least a decade ago, running events like these and designing arenas for this server, (Not sure if they are still here) let me give some insight:
Bad Religion wrote: Other servers I have played on will run these events daily with some of them (like 1v1s and ctfs) happening at least twice a day. They are generally on timers so staff doesn't have to be on to run them
- Running events need to be fun. Flat out full stop. Running automated 1v1's/DDoM's/CTF's/The football one(?) lose their luster and impact if run on a daily schedule. It becomes monotonous after a few weeks/months and people might stop attending said event (or very low turnouts). Running these events show that the Staff are active in running said event and actively interacting with the community attending. Which is important. Stringing events like these along keep the community interest up and give time for players to practice for certain events (Referring to the 1v1 arena) and time for Staff to create new arenas/larger events. Personally, I loved throwing events late night/early morning (PST) to give our European players and beyond a chance to participate in these events and I miss it fondly.
Bad Religion wrote:But I think having these kind of events going daily are great for a server and can help gateway new players into pvping.
- (shakes fist like a grumpy old man) Back in my day, PVP 1v1 dueling houses were setup for this exact purpose. Perhaps set one up for the new players out there to get a footing as a side project? Could be fun.
Bad Religion wrote:My second proposition is in regards to rewards for these events, but only for larger ones every month or so or an aggregated point system. I personally dont require a reward to show up, as the events themselves are usually fun enough, but perhaps others would be enticed by them.

Thanks

TLDR: automated pvp events daily, better and more rewards via a point system perhaps
- The larger holiday staff events required a lot of coordinating/planning on the back end and usually paid out well (mind you this was 10+ years ago so I'm not sure exactly how things are setup now.). I thought 1v1 tourneys had a payout of some sort but cannot recall if the team events did.

--Regards,

(Previous 2006+) Fmr Seer Zatoichi

P.S. Anyone remember the Asayre orb puzzle?
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

Thanks for the replies, but:

Staff are not active in running said events or any for that matter really. Which is why it should be automated (They don't even reply to bug posts)

The tournaments last about 15 minutes and are single elimination. Not much luster to be lost there.

The current most populated UO server has done it similarly for 2 years and still get huge turnouts and their maps aren't nearly as good.

As for creating a house to hold events, it has recently been tried a couple times but the house was being camped/griefed by other players and the turnout was very low after.
Last edited by Bad Religion on July 25th, 2017, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loler

Post by Loler »

Btw im not asking for rewards. If staff wants to add a small 5-50k check for the winner for the automated pvp events that would be fine. The board with total tourny wins and total points would be cool. Dont know how hard it is to program, but a server i used to play on uses this exact system.
Buying List
Selling List
Trading Brsk for Arties
My vendor in Luna
Bad Religion likes this.
Amish Hammer

Post by Amish Hammer »

We also did just finish up a couple of events recently that have been going on for years. no one was really paying much attention to it because you didnt have to pvp or you didnt get any amazing rewards. But we finished them all up and it got everyone the ToT event. I am not sure if they are gonna do another storyline event anytime soon though. So you are probably stuck with the pvp ones and the holiday ones and some player run ones.
Discord: Amish#1299
Bad Religion likes this.
Loler

Post by Loler »

BTW, I'm not like a lot of people who demand things. I'm merely saying something I would enjoy if added. If its not added its not added and wont change my opinion of the server. I know most people demand changes and when they don't go threw they throw a hissy fit.

This was just merely a suggestion.
Buying List
Selling List
Trading Brsk for Arties
My vendor in Luna