Future Holiday Town Event Suggestions?

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
Anthony File

Future Holiday Town Event Suggestions?

Post by Anthony File »

So I think perhaps for the next holiday town event things should be done a little differently as far as the bosses go. As it is with both Halloween and Christmas town, the bosses are each on a 2-8 hour spawn timer from the time they die. This current system doesn't give players with real life priorities the opportunity to make the most out of the event for themselves, the champ spawns/peerless/quests are all fun but lets be real, everyone really enjoys killing all of the different bosses and by far they are the most popular aspect of the holiday town events.

The way it is now the events cater to and enable both Multi-Clienting and AFK Gathering among our community, which has always been a huge issue every year with both events. It doesn't seem right to have to wait the length of an IDOC timer just to kill a boss in under 45 seconds and potentially only get an ML Arty/LToT. With how long of a wait and how fast the boss dies, this has encouraged most of the player base to write scripts to alert and attack each of the bosses, while also leaving as many of their characters as they can afk running at multiple locations. This really is against the spirit of the event in my eyes and it wouldn't even be an issue if some things were changed for future town events.

Now this is just my suggestion, and if you have any other/better ideas please speak up, but I think there should be 1 random boss spawned on the map at all times, and when the current boss is slain another random boss should then spawn. Of course the drop rates of the rare items (such as trinkets) should be toned down quite a bit if this were to be implemented, but doing this would really liven the Holiday Towns and would reduce the incentive to just afk-script at bosses like The Gravedigger for 2-8 hour spawn window and doing nothing else in fear of losing out on a chance at a trinket.
Otim O'Connel

Re: Future Holiday Town Event Suggestions?

Post by Otim O'Connel »

Build a big box in fell for PvPers with a boss that spawns all trammie drops random, instant spawn, and let them fight tooth & nail for two weeks.
~ We are eternal all this pain is an illusion
ImageMy Buy ListImage
ImageMy Vendor Image
Fethers
Demise Staff Member [Retired]

Post by Fethers »

While that does give people that are actually playing something more active to do than stand around and talk trash, I dont think it dissuades from unattended multi clients since the boss they wanted would still be more likely to spawn more often in that scenario with a pack of players chasing the 'whichever one is up' boss.

I'm curious what ideas you all can come up with to combat unattended multi clienting though.
Fethers
UOGamers: Demise - Game Master

Please do not PM me for support.
If you are experiencing game issues please page for a staff member in-game.

Thank you for your continued support of UOGamers: Demise.
Lord Mars

Post by Lord Mars »

fethers are u fetus turned gm?

cheers bro hi*5

aka. the beef...
Last edited by Lord Mars on October 25th, 2017, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RomanCoke

Post by RomanCoke »

Make the bosses spawn in random locations so people can't just sit in 1 spot waiting for it to spawn?
Last edited by RomanCoke on October 25th, 2017, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Fethers wrote:
I'm curious what ideas you all can come up with to combat unattended multi clienting though.
The same ones you use for unattended resource gathering as they have been proven to work
Right?
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Fethers

Post by Fethers »

Bama wrote:
The same ones you use for unattended resource gathering as they have been proven to work
Right?
I know you're just being sarcastic but I will answer you anyway. If a boss only spawns once every X amount of hours, its not against the rules to idle hidden at its spawn, and when it does spawn they dont tend to last very long making traditional checking methods difficult.

But you're very clever, I'm sure you have something to actually contribute to this topic right?
RomanCoke wrote:Make the bosses spawn in random locations so people can't just sit in 1 spot waiting for it to spawn?
Thats not how the spawns work in this game, they're basically invisible stationary objects on the ground that determine the spawn.... I guess you could make multiple spawners but than you would potentially have multiple grave diggers or what have you up at the same time, the respawn on them is is independent so you could still sit in one spot and just wait.

You can specify the spawn radius though, I guess you could really ramp up the tiles but then youd risk having a really in demand event boss spawn in an area players cant reach and be unkillable until a GM moved it.
Fethers

Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Lord Mars wrote:fethers are u fetus turned gm?

cheers bro hi*5

aka. the beef...
I don’t think Fethers is Festus/The Beef

But if they are ( though I don’t think so ) it’s good to know he survived Irma
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Mr Straitions

Post by Mr Straitions »

File's original post here makes a lot of sense. i hope it's taken seriously by staff. I only want to add to it.

Someone put a ton of work into designing all of what Halloween town has to offer and i'm sure they're rolling their eyes when they find out everyone is just sitting idle waiting for that 30-45 seconds where the boss spawns. I personally planned on playing a lot of UO when Htown came around since everyone and their brother talked up how awesome it was. And I did just that for the first day act 2 was available. After those 6.5 hours I haven't bothered lol. I only say this because I hope this is read and used as motivation to change the event for the good of everyone who plays Demise.

Unattended scripting seems to be the bane of Demise and I personally don't think it'll be taken care of completely. I'll refrain from providing suggestions on how to improve anything here until i see someone's advice implemented. Otherwise, we're all just spitting into the wind.
The Silvertiger wrote:If it were about kills and not objectives, then the axis won ww2, by a landslide....
Discord: Alter Ego#1069
Fethers

Post by Fethers »

Mr Straitions wrote:File's original post here makes a lot of sense. i hope it's taken seriously by staff. I only want to add to it.

Unattended scripting seems to be the bane of Demise and I personally don't think it'll be taken care of completely. I'll refrain from providing suggestions on how to improve anything here until i see someone's advice implemented. Otherwise, we're all just spitting into the wind.
I like anthony's idea as well to make actually playing more interesting, I was just curious since it seems to be pretty much unanimously agreed upon that unattended scripting is the shards biggest problem, to see if anyone had any interesting solutions to the problem in regards to events.

I'd love to hear suggestions as to what we can do to make the events more interactive while also discouraging unattended gathering. I'm low man on the totem pole and don't claim to speak for any of the other staff so I cant guarantee you anything you suggest will be implemented but I can guarantee if you don't voice your opinion it wont ever be heard, and that all of the staff regularly reads the forums.

And no, I am not The Beef

or Loler, sorry Loler.
Fethers

The Silvertiger

Post by The Silvertiger »

Tbh, I participate in very few bosses due to this sit and wait ordeal. Firstly, it rewards alerted afkers and semi-afkers. If I'm going to be afk/semi-afk I'd rather be sitting on Luna steps while playing another game or watching tv. If you honestly thought about it who's going to stare at their screen for 2 hours. As far as semiafk, whatever... I don't think it's right, but who am I. My suggestion to combat this issue would make event specific rules such as no idle zones with appropriate signage/gumps in the area.

At this time, I do not have a suggestion concerning boss rotation or spawning.
Last edited by The Silvertiger on October 26th, 2017, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Legacy likes this.
ortiz

Post by ortiz »

Fethers wrote:
Mr Straitions wrote:And no, I am not The Beef

or Loler, sorry Loler.
Thats exactly what The Beef or Loler would say to throw us off... :roll:
Bama wrote:
Opywang wrote:You have to pertitipate

Is that like Mittittippi
Fuck off

Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

ortiz wrote:
Fethers wrote:
Mr Straitions wrote:And no, I am not The Beef

or Loler, sorry Loler.
Thats exactly what The Beef or Loler would say to throw us off... :roll:

While you are correct Ortiz the other difference is that The Beef is a nice guy
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Lord Mars and Fethers like this.
zzillizz

Post by zzillizz »

I still have a hard time with distinguishing fully afk and semi afk. I'm always in the room with my computer...I have understood the roles as, as long as you can reply within like 30 seconds to a min you're not fully afk. So I can lay in bed and watch TV and my computer screen 5 ft away on the desk and respond or see a boss and get up and kill it.
I am fully capable of writing afk kill scripts for all of the bosses, and to distribute them to my guild. I don't tho. I will admit to having a script that I use to Target the Gravedigger... But ffs everybody has to be using something.... There's no ******* way anybody can pull his bar to attack without a script. Hell there's so many people there I doubt his name even appears half the time wish ctr shift.
I barely can function at Gravedigger, like many others have complained about, but it's not an issue shard side. I've got a relatively basic PC, not a gaming PC cuz I only play a 20 yr old game ffs, but it just can't render all the fucking ppl and spam. Then you have the players who intentionally spam speech and spells to make it even worse. Thanks, I hope you rot in a special hell
The Silvertiger

Post by The Silvertiger »

I would considered your particular situation semi afk. And afk is the wrong term, though, and I apologize for using it. The correct term, which happily the server rules use correctly, is attended, semiattended, unattended. They, however, don't distinguish between attended and semiattended. So legally you're good.

Idea
My previous solution would just remove anyone not actively being in combat or checking on the spawn. Maybe even closing the area completely until said monster spawns and shooting a system message when the monster spawns. The next thing is to prevent scripts from automatically walking to the boss. Suggestion would be a system that uses the rng to change the path, such as dungeon chests spawner. This of course doesn't completely hinder scripts, but it is a start.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."