How does OSI casting work on Demise?

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
DG

How does OSI casting work on Demise?

Post by DG »

Eos wrote:Our "OSI casting" option on the dueling pits was modeled after behavior we observed on OSI, including the cast delay randomness and overcasting silent fizzle.
Would you explain how this OSI casting exactly work on Demise?I mean,how does this overcasting silent fizzle happen and how long does the cast delay randomness last?

I am testing OSI casting in duel pits.I can feel the difference.But my ping is normally above 200.I am not sure its the new mechanic or my ping which brings the difference.I would appreciate it if our lovely lady could explain it in details.

Thanks in advance.
koziar likes this.
The Silvertiger

Re: How does OSI casting work on Demise?

Post by The Silvertiger »

Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
DG

Post by DG »

Yeah,i know that post,but still have three questions:
  • 1.Casting delay randomness takes 25ms to 250ms?
  • 2.How long does overcasting silent fizzle last if it happens?
  • 3.When this randomness and silent fizzle take place,before or after targetting?Do they kick in as soon as casting time is finished,or they take effect only after targetting action is completed?I.E.You cast a FIre Ball.Its casting time(750ms with 2/6)+sending target cursor(and casting delay randomness/overcasting silent fizzle take effect at the same time)+ recieving target?or casting time+sending targeting cursor+recieving target+randomness/silent fizzle ? or something else?
You know,casting is extremely ping-related from the first day of Demise.Its because of UO targetting mechanic.This sending target cursor + receiving target mechanic adds a whole ping time to each of your spells.And because of Demise casting.The faster spells can be casted,the more advantage low ping players will have over high ping ones. Its why most high ping players cant play mages(there was an exception before Target Exploit was gone).

Therefore,the last question seems very important to high ping players.if casting delay randomness and overcast silent fizzle take place before targetting,the ping influence may be lowered.It looks that,high ping players cant cast fast because of their ping,but low ping ones neither because of cast delay/silent fizzle.

If so,it would give high ping players more choices.They would no longer be forced to play non-casting templates in order to be competetive.
Loler

Post by Loler »

I think if they don't answer on this a good way to test is purposely overcast. Super fast on purpose then try to slow it down a little. From personal play it seems like it's based solely off the exact time of over casting.
Being fizzled seems to reset your over cast period.
Most people who have tried it and played with real osi casting have seemed to agree the overcast period seems a little to long of a period and should be a little faster. I think its a little to long personally but can play with demise timing version or am willing to try yo change it closer to osi the problem with that is for seems it may be random based off osis original code. Also i still don't support osi for server side option just giving mt opinion on the duel pit option
Id also like to iron out all the issues in the pits before ever moving osi casting to a server side change. Spell timers are off for delayed damage and probably some spell speeds and/or poison ticks.

Also yes with this change high ping mages will be at a worse advantage then they are now, and most high ping players prefer archer cause of the difference already
PM me or contact me on discord mortoburger#5040
Buying List
Selling List
Trading Brsk for Arties
My vendor in Luna
Buying Tailor/Smith resets in bulk.
The Silvertiger

Loler wrote:I think if they don't answer on this a good way to test is purposely overcast. Super fast on purpose then try to slow it down a little. From personal play it seems like it's based solely off the exact time of over casting.
Most people who have tried it and played with real osi casting have seemed to agree the overcast period seems a little to long of a period and should be a little faster. I think its a little to long personally but can play with demise timing version or am willing to try yo change it closer to osi the problem with that is for seems it may be random based off osis original code. Also i still don't support osi for server side option just giving mt opinion on the duel pit option
Id also like to iron out all the issues in the pits before ever moving osi casting to a server side change. Spell timers are off for delayed damage and probably some spell speeds and/or poison ticks.

Also yes with this change high ping mages will be at a worse advantage then they are now, and most high ping players prefer archer cause of the difference already
Stop typing with your mouth full.

The randomness for the overcast is what Eos, probably, is referring to as buggy. The rest should be pretty easy to code.
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Josh

Post by Josh »

I think before making it serverside definitely fix the osi demise casting as close to osi as you can reasonably do.
Loler

Post by Loler »

The Silvertiger wrote:
Loler wrote:I think if they don't answer on this a good way to test is purposely overcast. Super fast on purpose then try to slow it down a little. From personal play it seems like it's based solely off the exact time of over casting.

Stop typing with your mouth full.

The randomness for the overcast is what Eos, probably, is referring to as buggy. The rest should be pretty easy to code.
I don't understand the talking with a mouthful statement. I'm assuming you are saying I have someones junk in my mouth or am kissing someones ass, but I can't be sure. The only other thing I can think of is the typo or grammar which was caused from my phone being a prick while I'm on the pooper. As to the first, I don't have anyone's junk in my mouth nor am I kissing anyone's ass. Instead unlike many other people on these forums, I'm giving my honest opinion while having tested the casting very extensively. I would say over 1000 duels with the casting would probably give me the most practice with it on Demise. Although lately I can't manage to get anyone to duel more then 2-3 times.
Buying List
Selling List
Trading Brsk for Arties
My vendor in Luna
The Silvertiger

Loler wrote: I don't understand the talking with a mouthful statement. I'm assuming you are saying I have someones junk in my mouth or am kissing someones ass, but I can't be sure. The only other thing I can think of is the typo or grammar which was caused from my phone being a prick while I'm on the pooper. As to the first, I don't have anyone's junk in my mouth nor am I kissing anyone's ass. Instead unlike many other people on these forums, I'm giving my honest opinion while having tested the casting very extensively. I would say over 1000 duels with the casting would probably give me the most practice with it on Demise. Although lately I can't manage to get anyone to duel more then 2-3 times.
It was in reference to the typos and grammar issues that you don't normally make. You've never had your mom tell you to quit talking with your mouth full? I just assumed distracted typing. Don't let the staff catch you. You might get a fine or jail time.
Selling List & Vendor

DG

Post by DG »

Loler wrote:Also yes with this change high ping mages will be at a worse advantage then they are now, and most high ping players prefer archer cause of the difference already
It will be sad for high ping players if it is true.

I fell in love with this game and Demise because of spell casting 7 years ago when I could cast fast with Target Exploit.Even now I would immediately choose to play mages if I could cast as fast again. I believe most high ping players would make the same choice.Even under OSI casting,mages are still the most versatile.Archers always have many limitations.

I have noticed a further slowdown of spells in duel pits.But if the new casting can somehow decrease the casting difference between low ping players and high ping ones,Demise will be more attractive to high ping players.From my experience,low ping mages are a bigger threat than archers.

Wish Eos could give high ping players some hope.
Legacy and Josh like this.
Loler

Post by Loler »

Well dg it will help the high ping players who are actually good at mage. So many people can't cast without holding down buttons. However it will widen the gap between high ping mages and low ping mages that are both very good because at that level of play ping has a much higher influence.

Yeah the mouthful reference I've always heard was about kissing are or someone's junk in your mouth. I couldn't see that with what i typed because didn't look like I was riding someone's d in my post. However when I type on my phone I make a lot of typos cause i have fat fingers from eating to many cheeseburgers.
Buying List
Selling List
Trading Brsk for Arties
My vendor in Luna
DG

Post by DG »

Right now a low ping player's Ma Fb can easily bring me down no matter how hard I hold my miniheal key.Looks the worst-case scenario already.Could it be worse?When I have chance to duel a low ping guy,maybe I can figure it out.

Ping is definitely a very important factor in every online competitive game.But as long as it's not a determining one,it is still acceptable.Unfair thing happens.

Recently I am doing intensive OSI casting duels with my guildmates with the same high ping.Although I'm still confused with some mechanics,I think it's more fun than the old casting.You can no longer hold keys down and nullify all the offensive spells of your opponent.
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

DG wrote:Right now a low ping player's Ma Fb can easily bring me down no matter how hard I hold my miniheal key.Looks the worst-case scenario already.Could it be worse?When I have chance to duel a low ping guy,maybe I can figure it out.

Ping is definitely a very important factor in every online competitive game.But as long as it's not a determining one,it is still acceptable.Unfair thing happens.

Recently I am doing intensive OSI casting duels with my guildmates with the same high ping.Although I'm still confused with some mechanics,I think it's more fun than the old casting.You can no longer hold keys down and nullify all the offensive spells of your opponent.
Yah dudes standing in front of each other holding down ma/fb with 0 skill or timing killing you is exactly what we are trying to fix.
DG

Post by DG »

After several days of testing,i think i figure out the new casting partially.Casting delay randomness and overcast slient fizzle take effect as soon as your casting time is finished.They are independent of the target mechanic.

Its really good news for high ping players.Low ping players cant cast next spell during this casting delay randomness and overcast silent fizzle period.High ping ones cant either,because they need time to receive and send target.Thus it makes low ping and high ping players cast at a similar speed.Of course the ping difference is still there,but it is much better than the old casting.

If im correct about the new casting,high ping players will love this casting and have more template options when playing Demise.
royal kapero2 likes this.