Good Movies

Off-topic general discussion, for everything else.
Calvin

Re: Good Movies

Post by Calvin »

i watched Barbie... and it's really good :o :lol:
Facko likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

im not even joking.. you know how i hated the mario movie, because it was just a bland movie about the mario narrative?

Barbie is the complete opposite. very surprised, but honestly obvious from the start imo, a lot of people haven't got it :lol:

i mean why put a 2001 a space odyssey reference in a film for 8 year olds?

it runs 3 plots simultaniously: a movie about barbie in a feminist fantasy. a movie about ken in a heroes journey. and, the real movie, about growing up, and going from the fantasy world of feminism, to the reality world of motherhood.

it's very good, done in like an artsy, ironic kitch parody style.

all these people hating on it, are literally just seeing one of the parody plots, and thinking that's the whole movie.

it's seriously, like an 8.5/10 maybe even a 9
and ken deserves an oscar for it lol

it's literally an instant classic.
on par with like bill and ted's bogus journey.
Facko

Post by Facko »

I am Kenough!

Damn rigged election... could have done without the AOC and Kamala Harris stand-ins, that rant at the end... yikes! AOC bug eyes and everything!
ultio mea est
Calvin likes this.
Facko

Post by Facko »

https://www.insider.com/barbie-monologu ... 2023-7?amp

But they think the rant was an inspirational thing...

This take got me to watch it (that and my girlfriend turning it on).

ultio mea est
Calvin likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

fkin alan dude..!

:lol:

"could have done without the AOC and Kamala Harris stand-ins, that rant at the end.."
that's the thing tho, which one is the brainwashing?
both sides have legit points; it sneaks the message of each side into the other, by reversing the roles, it's very clever.

but it doesn't matter ultimately, because both sides of that feminism/anti-feminism debate get trumped by the third plot of family etc. people mad they dont end up together, but it's like.. firstly it IS the barbie film, and it is about barbie growing up, but secondly she's grown up in a way, and matured, he hasn't and still needs to. but that's fine. i honestly think stereotypical ken will end up with weird barbie lmao

i love that they have a war in it, manipulated into it by the women, but then they just fight it out, and by the end of the song they're all bros again :lol: like almost accidentally.
like ye men fight to sort out their differences, but ultimately they're on the same side, and it just needed hashing out.
they coulda done them dirty, but they're all like honest monogamists lol
Facko likes this.
Facko

Post by Facko »

Sadly... I don't think it was clever on purpose. That was the rant of a woman who has driven HERSELF insane from her own insecurities.
ultio mea est
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

i think it's on purpose.

the feminism rant is a decoy, the real rant is ken talking to barbie after it.
remember this is in barbie world, where the kens are the women, and the matriachy is in charge - ken has just led what was basically a militant feminist revolt; and what does he end up saying?

"i look so stupid!" with all the supportive friends going "noo you look so cool!"
then barbie is like "you have to figure out who you are without me, you're not your girlfriend (husband), you're not your house, you're not your mink" "beach?" "no, you're not even beach"

who is having this identity crisus right now? is it men, or women? barbie explains all this to ken, but then has the epiphany that she's actually talking about herself!
"maybe all the things you thought made you you.. aren't... really... you..."
"maybe it's barbie... and.. it's ken"
this is not saying they cant live together, it's saying both people are people, it's NOT a power dynamic relationship, where one person dominates the other - which is the entire belief of both feminism, and anti-feminism.

that's the real message. ken is clearly not ready, cos he's not had enoguh character development lol.
but barbie is ready to leave the whole thing behind, and find her real purpose - being a mum.

which is the exact paradigm she shattered with her release, creating this generation of socialite women
it's like the whole film is an apology!

+
both sides of the barbie world are extreme, on purpose, to parody them.
the barbie matriachy is not a good thing to be returning to either, is the entire point.
but as i say, ultimately the film is not about the world, it's about barbie, and that's part of her life she's moved on from, by growing up - becoming a mum, she's out of that whole debate.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

im confused how a film that starts with a 2001: a space odysee reference, and ends with a socialite going "what was i made for" then having a montage of mothers and daughters;
can be seen as a woke movie for 8 year olds :lol:

these people shouting about things like "omg they just ripped off 2001, scandalous!"
are like watching schindlers list and going "omg they missed making that girl in red black and white, what idiots"
Facko likes this.
Facko

Post by Facko »

If the sequel (you know it's coming) is smart somehow then maybe I'll buy that it wasn't an accident. I just don't have faith in Hollywood.
ultio mea est
Facko

Post by Facko »

Dunno if it was in the movie itself or if the copy I saw has someone edit it in... when barbie was worried she wasn't pretty... before that rant... they stopped the movie for a sec and said Margot robbie was a poor choice to make that point with lol
ultio mea est
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Facko wrote: July 28th, 2023, 4:12 pm If the sequel (you know it's coming) is smart somehow then maybe I'll buy that it wasn't an accident. I just don't have faith in Hollywood.
it'll be bad, you cant mass produce films like that.. they just sorta happen when they're ready :P
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Facko wrote: July 28th, 2023, 4:15 pm Dunno if it was in the movie itself or if the copy I saw has someone edit it in... when barbie was worried she wasn't pretty... before that rant... they stopped the movie for a sec and said Margot robbie was a poor choice to make that point with lol
lol ye nah it's in the film, it's the narrator :P
i think anyway, we prolly watched the same copy lol

but this is barbie growing up, she says it multiple times through the film "i want everything to stay exactly the same" and that's the message, it doesn't, this is a fantasy! that's a doll. it's meta AF lol

feminist, aren't women, they're dolls. that is the message.
women grow up, and become mothers.

this film is not accidental, at all. but at the same time, i dont think it's 100% the director either - she's speaking truth, and those stories tell themselves.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

schindlers list in pastels lmao

not really, i think i've only actually seen that in english class lol, it's not my kinda movie

but sentiment is right.. it's a serious movie, in a bill and ted skin.
Facko likes this.
Facko

Post by Facko »

Calvin wrote: July 28th, 2023, 5:00 pm schindlers list in pastels lmao

not really, i think i've only actually seen that in english class lol, it's not my kinda movie

but sentiment is right.. it's a serious movie, in a bill and ted skin.
Don't take a kid. Had a chance to watch more than the last half. They probably won't get it. Seems like it's for jaded adults lol.
ultio mea est
Calvin likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »